Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline front tyre choices

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
What will be a good tyre for normal road use when I go to replace the stock RE050A's. Want something that will have a decent wear life(same if not better the the stocks), good wet wether performance and safety, low noise etc. Not planning to use on track and it must meet the factory recommended spec. I was thinking the Michelin PS4 or PS4s or Re003

Bugger looks like there are no PS4S in size of the fronts. Also RE003 don't meet the speed rating requirements. Why in the hell did Holden make such a high speed requirement for these car tyres??

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi dgp,
Correction sorry. I just checked again, and you are correct. The rears are 4S. The fronts are 4. Different tread pattern. I'll be talking to Bob Jane about this on Monday. Apologies for the misinformation.

Thanks for going to the trouble Cuda, I might try out the RE003's to keep the tyre the same front/rear. Pity Michelin don't offer the correct size of the 4S.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks for going to the trouble Cuda, I might try out the RE003's to keep the tyre the same front/rear. Pity Michelin don't offer the correct size of the 4S.
No trouble at all. For what it's worth, I'd go the Michelin 4 front and rear, or mismatched front an rear over the 003's. Early days, but mine feels better with these Michelin's than it did with the 003's or 050's. That said, the 003's ae a really god tyre.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Just lube mate. They didn't even clean it off.

I thought it looked like lube as I could see a little of it on the side wall but couldn't believe a tyre shop wouldn't do a courtesy wipe before releasing the car to you.

Poor service in my books.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
No trouble at all. For what it's worth, I'd go the Michelin 4 front and rear, or mismatched front an rear over the 003's. Early days, but mine feels better with these Michelin's than it did with the 003's or 050's. That said, the 003's ae a really god tyre.

I'd also be happy with the mismatch front to rear, as long as they are quality tyres they'll still performance well together.

I've replaced just fronts with new edition treads a few times over the years without any problems.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought it looked like lube as I could see a little of it on the side wall but couldn't believe a tyre shop wouldn't do a courtesy wipe before releasing the car to you.

Poor service in my books.

Yeah very poor. I guess they thought the discount was enough and an extra 2 minutes to wipe the rims was too costly. Either way, Bob Jane wagga have another black mark against their name from me.

The issue of the mismatched tyres is more of a concern though. If as it seems, the 4S is not available in 19/245 40, then we have a problem. I'm not sure where this will end up, as I specified size, but not specifically 4S. However, I asked for details on the tyre first, and asked to see one. They showed me a 4S and I liked it. So, I gave them the go ahead. There was no mention of the 4S not being available in the front size.
Time will tell . Should be interesting.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Yeah very poor. I guess they thought the discount was enough and an extra 2 minutes to wipe the rims was too costly. Either way, Bob Jane wagga have another black mark against their name from me.

The issue of the mismatched tyres is more of a concern though. If as it seems, the 4S is not available in 19/245 40, then we have a problem. I'm not sure where this will end up, as I specified size, but not specifically 4S. However, I asked for details on the tyre first, and asked to see one. They showed me a 4S and I liked it. So, I gave them the go ahead. There was no mention of the 4S not being available in the front size.

If it was my car I'd go back and have them swap the front Sport 4 for the Super Sport.

And I say that because I don't put many miles on my cars and they don't get a great deal of heavy wet weather driving.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If as it seems, the 4S is not available in 19/245 40, then we have a problem. I'm not sure where this will end up, as I specified size, but not specifically 4S. However, I asked for details on the tyre first, and asked to see one. They showed me a 4S and I liked it. So, I gave them the go ahead. There was no mention of the 4S not being available in the front size.

I had trouble recently trying to buy some 285/25R20 tyres and couldn’t get this size in any of the big name performance brands and ended up having to settle for the Falken AZenis 453 as they were the only ones available here.

When I looked into it more the big brands like Pirelli, Michelin, Continental and so on do manufacturer and sell these sizes overseas but they are not imported here.

Just out of interest I checked TIRERACK.COM in the USA as they are one of the biggest online suppliers in the world and are popular with the Euro crowd as they deliver anywhere in the world including here and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is available there in the 245/40ZR19 size.

I know this doesn’t help you but I intend to import my next set of 25 series tyres when I need them so I can get them in the brand I prefer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ewall=Blackwall&partnum=44YR9PS4SXL&tab=Sizes

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it was my car I'd go back and have them swap the front Sport 4 for the Super Sport.

And I say that because I don't put many miles on my cars and they don't get a great deal of heavy wet weather driving.

Good idea PH. But, I don't think Super Sports are available anymore?
The Pilot Sport 4S is meant to be between the Super Sport and the CUP 2 in terms of handling, braking and wear. They are whisper quiet too.