Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline rear tyre choices

Paulie81

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII Prussian Steel SS-V Redline Manual
Google the "experts" reviews on tyres, Contisportcontact 6 or Michelin Pilotsport 4S are the latest favourites. Otherwise stick to factory fitted Bridgestone. Good tyre are ranging $400-$500+ each for the 20"...Whatever you choose, don't get the "run flat" tyres. It is tempting as SSVR doesn't have spare but don't use "run flat" tyres.

no spare? Mine has a spare 19" wheel

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
According to the reviews, low profile run flat tyres are very unforgiving, very harsh and rock hard rides, may damage the rims too. I haven't tried it myself, perhaps someone is brave enough to spend $500+ each and let us know for sure?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Seriously the first thing is it depends how much you drive. I can't justify $2000+ for a set of tyres that last 10k km or less. Apparently some people don't drive that much all year and like to spend on the most expensive at retail, goodo.
I like Sumitomo Sport, made in Japan. Good balance of grip/wear and look smart.
IMG_1974.JPG

Also because rim damage looks bad and adds service cost, the square wall / rim protection is excellent.

Plonker

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SSV Redline Ute & 2016 SSV Redline Sedan
I just put some Potenza RE003's on my SSV Redline ute and I am mighty impressed with them. Got them for $1300 with nitro and wheel alignment which I thought wasn't too bad for the performance. I got 55,000kms out of the original RE005A's so will see how I go with these ones.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I see a few people in here saying they got tyres with nitrogen ... it doesn't hurt to have them put it in, but make sure you don't pay any extra, it's been proven to have no measurable effect.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I see a few people in here saying they got tyres with nitrogen ... it doesn't hurt to have them put it in, but make sure you don't pay any extra, it's been proven to have no measurable effect.
What, so keeping same pressure from cold is not measurable? And you say removing oxygen and moisture from the tyre is a benefit you should not pay for?
Come on man, I use it all the time and totally recommend it for keeping even tyre pressure and to me is smoother ride with less noise. Maybe you need to use the car more often to appreciate the importance of those hardly measurable subtleties.
Oh here's another weird coincidence, I don't carry a spare tyre because I don't get punctures any more on nitrogen. No, I can't explain it scientifically but I drive 5x further and a little bit harder than the average motorist and just no good reason except penny pinching not to use the technology.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What, so keeping same pressure from cold is not measurable?
That part is measurable, it's just that the effect of it is not.
So in racing you'll go from 32psi to 44psi or similar using 78% nitrogen, instead using 99% nitrogen you'll go from 32psi to 42psi (or more likely 34psi to 44psi).
That 2psi difference was measurable, but the difference couldn't be felt by the driver.

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
For a laugh watch John Cadogan in this. PS I don't care either way :p