Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline rear tyre choices

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Seriously the first thing is it depends how much you drive. I can't justify $2000+ for a set of tyres that last 10k km or less. Apparently some people don't drive that much all year and like to spend on the most expensive at retail, goodo.
I like Sumitomo Sport, made in Japan. Good balance of grip/wear and look smart.
img_1974-jpg.193333

Also because rim damage looks bad and adds service cost, the square wall / rim protection is excellent.

I ran the Sumitomo HTR ZIII in 255/35/20 & 285/30/20 on one of my Utes for a while a few years back and thought they were a great tyre for the price.

When I went to replace them I was told they were no longer available????

So I tried some Continental Contisportcontact 5 as an alternative and even though they were OK the value wasn’t there compared to the Sumitomo.

Still I am one of those people who's happy to spend a small fortune on a set of tyres if necessary depending on what vehicle it is and if the safety of my family is involved.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
According to the reviews, low profile run flat tyres are very unforgiving, very harsh and rock hard rides, may damage the rims too. I haven't tried it myself, perhaps someone is brave enough to spend $500+ each and let us know for sure?

I've been fitting run flats on some of my cars for years and never damaged a rim even when they have been driven deflated.

They are a little firm but you can say that about all low profile tyres and they are not that bad you have a problem with the ride.

The technology has improved a lot and I feel so confident in the performance of the OEM run flat Potenza’s fitted to my 135i I'd have no fear in matching it against any new Commodore as it would scare the pants off them in the twisty bits.

That’s not to say I think run flats are better than top shelf conventional tyres as I don’t, I’m just saying modern run flats are not the poor cousin they used to be and teamed with a well sorted suspension they can stick to the road as good as or better than most vehicles.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Thanks "panhead" for the feedback on run flat tyres. No spare on VF2 ssvr ute, just a can of glue. I have the 2016 SSVR and doesn't have the tyre pressure monitor. Have anyone tried the glue on a punctured flat tyre? I wonder what the glue will do to the tyre pressure sensor in 2017 model? Can the punctured tyre be repaired after using the glue? (assuming it wasn't a side wall damage). My previous VF1 SSV ute has a spare, used it once in 2 years of ownership. The possibility of having a puncture is very real as I work at the building sites, it is a worry. I shall google to see if a punctured run flat tyre can be repaired after driving flat for a short distance. SSVR tyres aren't cheap, very costly if punctured tyre can't be repaired.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Thanks "panhead" for the feedback on run flat tyres. No spare on VF2 ssvr ute, just a can of glue. I have the 2016 SSVR and doesn't have the tyre pressure monitor. Have anyone tried the glue on a punctured flat tyre? I wonder what the glue will do to the tyre pressure sensor in 2017 model? Can the punctured tyre be repaired after using the glue? (assuming it wasn't a side wall damage). My previous VF1 SSV ute has a spare, used it once in 2 years of ownership. The possibility of having a puncture is very real as I work at the building sites, it is a worry. I shall google to see if a punctured run flat tyre can be repaired after driving flat for a short distance. SSVR tyres aren't cheap, very costly if punctured tyre can't be repaired.

In 99% of cases a run flat that's been driven on is a throw away, as is a tyre that has been reinflated with goo.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Googled the Run Flat tyres, apparently it is not as simple as just putting them on any vehicles, a national tyre company will not install them if the vehicle hasn't got Tyre Pressure Monitors and will not repair RF tyres. Some car manufacturers specified the use of RF tyres such as BMW and they aren't happy for owners to swap them to conventional tyres. The other way is also true that some manufactures say that RF tyres alters their vehicles' suspension set up. As with the tyre glue, I will need to check if Holden's is water based which then can be hose down for the puncture to be repaired. Why can't Holden just throw in a spare wheel and save us all the hassles and worry.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

From experience, I have seen this glue crud destroy a tyre internally....It's ate away the rubber, causing the internal cords to be exposed

This glue will clog up the sensors, as it is designed to fill holes...And the sensors have a hole to allow the air into the tyre...

The other issue I see personally is, people will use this crud to "fix" a puncture temperally without actually knowing the cause of the puncture....ie it maybe in the sidewall area, or the item that caused the puncture may have rubbed on the sidewall which can cause the tyre to fail dramatically.....And we can guess the worst possible outcome

And finally, the smell of the crap is enough to make you throw up....I would love people that use it, to get a nostril full of it, when breaking the bead and see how they like it....Yes, I might be whinging a little about it, but if others got the whife that I cop, everytime I strike it, they might have a little sympathy

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Googled the Run Flat tyres, apparently it is not as simple as just putting them on any vehicles, a national tyre company will not install them if the vehicle hasn't got Tyre Pressure Monitors and will not repair RF tyres. Some car manufacturers specified the use of RF tyres such as BMW and they aren't happy for owners to swap them to conventional tyres. The other way is also true that some manufactures say that RF tyres alters their vehicles' suspension set up. As with the tyre glue, I will need to check if Holden's is water based which then can be hose down for the puncture to be repaired. Why can't Holden just throw in a spare wheel and save us all the hassles and worry.

That national tyre company needs their heads read.....When they first came out, very few cars had tyre pressure monitors fitted....So they obviously want to turn customers away, which is stupidity on their behalf....

Repairing a runflat tyre is a big no no....Repairing a tyre the fitter must be confident that it will be safe enough to drive on and not fail prematurely.....A run flat tyre carcass is designed to endure more stress than a conventinal tyre, when running low on pressure....Due to this, we are unsure how much stress the carcass has endured prior to coming in, therefore completing a successful repair so it doesn't fail prematurely, is impossible

Run flat tyres were invented for European countries, where distances between towns were considerably less than here, as well as weigh saving considerations....However, in Australia, we don't have these short distances between towns, yet we import cars that were designed for European countries, with no consideration taken for this country....And manufacturers of cars in this country are taking the same lead as European countries in this area, which is plain stupidity

Last edited:

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
That national tyre company needs their heads read.....When they first came out, very few cars had tyre pressure monitors fitted....So they obviously want to turn customers away, which is stupidity on their behalf....

Repairing a runflat tyre is a big no no....Repairing a tyre the fitter must be confident that it will be safe enough to drive on and not fail prematurely.....A run flat tyre carcass is designed to endure more stress than a conventinal tyre, when running low on pressure....Due to this, we are unsure how much stress the carcass has endured prior to coming in, therefore completing a successful repair so it doesn't fail prematurely, is impossible

Run flat tyres were invented for European countries, where distances between towns were considerably less than here, as well as weigh saving considerations....However, in Australia, we don't have these short distances between towns, yet we import cars that were designed for European countries, with no consideration taken for this country....And manufacturers of cars in this country are taking the same lead as European countries in this area, which is plain stupidity

probably because of the stupid consumer perception / belief that if it's good enough for European cars then it must be superior to anything local.

16SSWag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SS Black wagon
Anyone know why the fronts and rears run different profile tires in redline rims?