Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline rear tyre choices

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
To give the same rolling diameter.

To expand on Imoengnr answer, the sidewall profile is a percentage ratio of the tyre’s tread width.

Therefore if the rear is wider than the front and they both had the same profile percentage then the rear would have a larger overall rolling diameter.

To bring the rear diameter down to equal or be closer to the front the rear profile is decreased.

An example of a common front to rear ratio where the rolling diameter is almost exact is a 245 wide front with a 35 side profile and a 285 wide rear with a 30 side profile.

There are plenty of tyre calculators on the web where you can check the different rolling diameters against profile sizes to help get your tyres close to ideal.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
probably because of the stupid consumer perception / belief that if it's good enough for European cars then it must be superior to anything local.
That's kind-of our own stupid fault though, in a way.
The only Euro cars that sell properly here are really good; the average ones they might not even try, and if they do they fail. So the Euro cars people have in mind are the ones that succeeded due to being above average; stuff like last-forever Beetles, hot-hatch heroes like 206GTI's and Golf GTi's, styling & comfort heroes like the original Citroen DS, ur-Quattro's, double-bumper S-Classes etc.
Nobody thinks of a Citroen AX or a Peugeot 207 when they think of European. Or ... lemme think, how about an Alfa 90?
Yet commercial reality means Falcons, Commodores, Valiants, Magnas etc were always sold here, regardless of how bad they might be.
Not that I can recall anything ever made here which could rival an Alfa 90 for crapness ...

Anyhoo, back on topic; vc commodore makes a really good point, how can tyre sensors work with tyre-inflator goo? Surely it can't?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Anyhoo, back on topic; vc commodore makes a really good point, how can tyre sensors work with tyre-inflator goo? Surely it can't?

When you see this stuff inside a tyre, you will see little strands of stuff, which clog up holes...Tyre sensors, even the normal valves have a hole, which allow air through....So by putting 2 and 2 together with what I have mentioned, it will allow people to understand what will happen to sensors

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
i brought a my17 ss redline ute in June and was not happy with the holdens pressure can goo and compressor to deal with a roadside punctures ,
i thought the goo would ruin the tyre and as i use the car for country drives thought it best to carry a spare so i could get myself out of trouble if need be.
i brought a 8.5 x 20 rim and tyre and keep it tied down in the tub, jack and wheel brace stored behind the seats.
i wish holden supplied a spare wheel like the maloo hsv utes have with there spare wheel carrier up under the tub.
chances of a puncture are slim but i dont want to get stuck up ship creek.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
i brought a 8.5 x 20 rim and tyre and keep it tied down in the tub, jack and wheel brace stored behind the seats.
I am tempting to do the same, though I have 20" wheels but I would probably get the standard 8.5" x 19" rim/tyre.

Crom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Picked up my Redline ute 3 months ago with Achilles Desert Hawk UHP on it. Always been wary of cheap tyres after a bad experience years ago but these have been great. Clocked 5000 km's on them so far and wearing well. Give the car a good run through the hills in Adelaide and the tyres perform well in wet and dry, very little road noise. At this stage, for $130 a tyre, these will be going back on again in future.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
I installed a pair of Kimforest rear tyres for my redline wagon 2000 Km ago. Today I drove through very heavy rain on the M7 and they performed just fine 100 Km/h all the way.

I drive between 500-1000km per week and I am not risking damaging another $500 tyre.

So the $160 Chinese rubber is doing just fine.....so far.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Like cheap Chinese food. You know it's not that good. But you keep going back for more. Soon after, your hungry for something else. But you just go back to the fridge for more leftover Chinese.

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
Nitrogen is a scam unless you are doing so much track time that your driving is no longer the weak link and perfect car setup is the only thing left to yield better times. This is almost nobody by the way.

I have 6 cars and apart from semi's on dedicated track car, I run RE003 on everything else. This even includes my beater BA Falcon Wagon I use to haul tools, parts, rubbish etc around ($400 a set in that size and the best handling/safety per $ improvement you can get imho) . I wait for the Potenza 4 for 3 offer which is generally twice a year and replace on whatever car needs them, I even put 2 sets on my parents cars this year.