Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline rear tyre choices

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I don't use nitrogen simply because it takes away the convenience of being able to check and correct the tyre pressures at home with my compressor or if I'm away and need to adjust them at a servo.

Why pay $5 a corner when it's wasted if I don't have time or it's out of my way to top up at a shop that supplies the stuff.

Free air and frequent checking of pressures is good enough for the street.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I don't use nitrogen simply because it takes away the convenience of being able to check and correct the tyre pressures at home with my compressor or if I'm away and need to adjust them at a servo.

Why pay $5 a corner when it's wasted if I don't have time or it's out of my way to top up at a shop that supplies the stuff.

Free air and frequent checking of pressures is good enough for the street.

yep, I haven't seen it for years thought it was dead like E85 is now days(note my ute runs e85) so few servos in adelaide

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
yep, I haven't seen it for years thought it was dead like E85 is now days(note my ute runs e85) so few servos in adelaide
You know there's Airport, Seaton, Pennington, Clearview, Pooraka, Salisbury Park, Murray Bridge, still the highest ethanol stations per-capita?
I travel interstate and it's not dead by any means, three new stations south east QLD last year for example. But Victoria is hopeless.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
You know there's Airport, Seaton, Pennington, Clearview, Pooraka, Salisbury Park, Murray Bridge, still the highest ethanol stations per-capita?
I travel interstate and it's not dead by any means, three new stations south east QLD last year for example. But Victoria is hopeless.

I know seaton and Pooraka which one is Salisbury park?? that's closets for me used to use the Caltex there but no pump anymore Grrr

Re tyres have Kumho KU39 275 30 20's on my VF 2 and seems to grip ok not as good as my Reoo3's on daily

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Yes it is still available, but mainly through Bob Jane T-Marts.....I do know of a couple of independants that stock it, but they very rarely use it....But it's faded into the abis a fair bit, as I think the majority of people saw it for what it is....Pointless for a daily driver....

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Tyrepower at Woy Woy here on the NSW Central Coast offers (pushes) it every time I go there.

$5.00 for each new tyre fitted.

I don't know if they charge the same for a top up or if it's cheaper as less product is used.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Seriously, I never have to top up between services. That's what it is all about, predictability.

You're lucky.

As a general rule I don't have any problems with mine but I do check the pressure readings every couple of weeks on the cars I regularly drive and sometimes I'll find one or two tyres may need a couple of PSI to even them out and sometimes not.

The cars that I don't drive very often always get checked prior to them being taken out of the shed and most will need something even if it's only around 5 PSI.

I'm in a habit of routinely checking tyres and that way I can easy pick up on a slow leak from a nail or such which when I get really mobile could turn into something a little more serious.

When I do check it's as easy as reaching for the nozzle to top up even if the pressure drop is only minor as I like to help keep the tyre wear even.

I also have tyre monitors on some cars but I still like that physical check for peace of mind and maybe it's because I grew up in the bush where on a rough road even a good tyre can let go without warning and therefore constant checking and maintenance is important to me from a safety aspect.

I'm not going to get into the argument on the merits of nitrogen as I don't know anything about it but because I do my own checking and top ups it's easy for me to stick with air as it's done me no harm for the past 30 odd years.

SSVRDL

Aussie Icon
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV S2 Redline
Hi all, is any one running a 285/30 R20 set up, without their rear guards rolled.. cheers

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Hi all, is any one running a 285/30 R20 set up, without their rear guards rolled.. cheers

I used to on a mildly lowered VE with 20x10 inch rims without any scrubbing but you need to have very conservative offsets.

SSVRDL

Aussie Icon
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV S2 Redline
I used to on a mildly lowered VE with 20x10 inch rims without any scrubbing but you need to have very conservative offsets.

I am placing a order for a set of Koys SF04 IN R20 x 10 +50
Mine is slightly lowered, might just bite the bullet and get the guards rolled. thanks mate