Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline series 2 possible rwhp? And recommendations/ suggestions

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
its not a percentage loss as that means a 500hp engine with same gearbox/driveline swapped to 1000hp engine will loose double the hp and that is not accurate, it is a almost static loss of torque what ever effort the driveline takes to turn is what it looses
That's technically correct however when applied to flywheel horsepower and a dyno reading at the wheels, a percentage factor is the most consistent in practice. What I've tested several times, is an extra 10hp measured on an engine dyno has never resulted in an extra 10hp at the wheels, it's always less when in the engine's back in the car and measured on a chassis dyno.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
That's technically correct however when applied to flywheel horsepower and a dyno reading at the wheels, a percentage factor is the most consistent in practice. What I've tested several times, is an extra 10hp measured on an engine dyno has never resulted in an extra 10hp at the wheels, it's always less when in the engine's back in the car and measured on a chassis dyno.
yea would be some friction loss as well, the main loss would be constant from the drive line and then the loss of extra friction from turning more loaded power would be the slight variable amongst a few other variables, temp, gbox/diff oil, tyre press ect

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
yea would be some friction loss as well, the main loss would be constant from the drive line and then the loss of extra friction from turning more loaded power would be the slight variable amongst a few other variables, temp, gbox/diff oil, tyre press ect
Here's an interesting one I did years ago on the original Dyno Dynamics software.
A VN to VS 5 litre manual rated at 165kw (220hp) made between 150 to 160hp at the wheels around a 30% loss. An HSV 185kw (248hp) version made between 170 to 180hp at the wheels, again around 30% loss. We did a roller cam 355 engine for a VR SS that made 156 rwhp stock. The 355 engine made 522hp on an engine dyno and back in the car same driveline made 365rwhp, 30% loss again the same as the stock engine! We never ran a stock engine on an engine dyno to confirm the actual horsepower, but this 30% thing was an extremely consistent result.

At around 190rwkw, a Pfitzner straight cut gearset in a T5 gearbox makes 3rwkw over the stock helical cut gears. With the same engine, a Tremec TR6060 loses 10rwkw over the straight cut T5 from gearbox frictional differences.

Last edited:

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Ute/ 2016 VF2 SS-V Redline
I recently brought a 2016 SSV VF redline series 2 only had 30,000kms and was completely stock, I just purchase a whole bunch of modifications and waiting for them all to ship anyone know the rough RWHP/ rwkw I’ll be making with these and any suggestions/ recommendations or anything else that would help me out would be appreciated. I’m definetly not too sure on the stall converter but I’ve been told 2700 stall is perfect for this cam duration and this cams rpm range so any input on that as well would be very appreciated.

• Ultrex 1 3/4 headers with high flow cats
  • Ultrex Dual 3inch exhaust with 4.5inch tips
  • VCM OTR cold air intake
  • Harrop Engine oil cooler kit
  • VCM Transmission cooler kit
  • Oil catch can
  • GM torque master Camshaft package
  • Xspurt 725cc injectors
  • GM LS7 Lifters kit & head bolts
  • Harrop front & rear Braided break lines
  • Powerbond 25% under drive balancer kit
  • MSD performance ignition leads
  • MSD performance ignition coils
  • Aeroflow Billet belt tensioner
  • Comp cam trunnion roller rocker upgrade kit
  • Melling high pressure and volume oil pump
  • Torque lock LSD
  • Motor gear performance 3.7 diff ratio set
  • DBA 4000 Front & rear slotted Rotors
  • TCE 9.5” 2700 stall converter
  • White line sway bar kit
  • BC racing coil overs
Chuck a decent horn on it. The factory 'poot poot' unit is bloody embarrassing on such a tough car

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Well, each to their own, but you just took a low mileage collectors car that can only go up in value in factory stock trim, spent a fortune on parts and made a low mileage car that will probably depreciate faster than it goes.

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, each to their own, but you just took a low mileage collectors car that can only go up in value in factory stock trim, spent a fortune on parts and made a low mileage car that will probably depreciate faster than it goes.
Maybe he bought it to enjoy rather than as an investment that never leaves his garage ..? Besides..if he still has all the original parts it could be returned to factory spec easy enough if a future buyer wished it that way :)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Or, he has spent his coin making a massed produced 4 door grocery getter more to his liking

All of which can be returned to stock if required

Would it be better he left it in his garage for fear of putting km on it, keeping it nice and clean, and stock *read: boring) in the hope that the arse doesn't fall out the used car market in a year or 2 and he doesn't lose money selling it

Yes, opinions may vary

My advice to the OP is to mod and enjoy the lump however you seem fit

VF2R

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or, he has spent his coin making a massed produced 4 door grocery getter more to his liking

All of which can be returned to stock if required

Would it be better he left it in his garage for fear of putting km on it, keeping it nice and clean, and stock *read: boring) in the hope that the arse doesn't fall out the used car market in a year or 2 and he doesn't lose money selling it

Yes, opinions may vary

My advice to the OP is to mod and enjoy the lump however you seem fit
Snap!!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's not one of those final limited editions nor an HSV, SSV-R's aren't particularly rare, and little of what he's done is going to affect resale anyway ... I mean write off the cost of the mods, but the car won't be worth any less than any other same-mileage SSV-R as a result of what's been done. V8 Commodores are "allowed" mods to some degree, and by the time it gets to the age of something like a GTHO Phase III it'll all be academic 'cos as petrol slowly becomes less accessible the people who buy a car to enjoy once every month won't be able to justify bothering any more & used petrol car prices won't continue to rise. A few will convert to electric to make their pride & joy more usable, but an electric-converted SV6 is the same as an electric-converted SSV-R really.