Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline series 2 possible rwhp? And recommendations/ suggestions

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
A race car is for winning races, so it should have the fastest gearbox.
A road car should provide some level of joy though …
You're right, the close ratio DSG in the M4 BMW that pulls gears like a V8 Supercar is a pretty joyful sensation and sound!

The problem with manuals the way cars are now and the way people drive, they're hard to keep up with the traffic off the lights without a "boy racer" launch and bringing attention to yourself.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Cool, thanks, there would not be any additional loss? The extra power it makes all goes to the wheels?
its always a depends, things like a super charger use power to make power.
friction of engine components could change at higher heat/rpm

other than putting it on an engine dyno, everything is an estimate, but adding back a % of what is essentially a fixed number isnt a good estimate.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
its always a depends, things like a super charger use power to make power.
friction of engine components could change at higher heat/rpm

other than putting it on an engine dyno, everything is an estimate, but adding back a % of what is essentially a fixed number isnt a good estimate.
Okay thanks, I guess I will have to say my V6 is between 311 and 318 HP then, lol.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
1. Do mods
2. Get dyno graph
3. Go to drags
4. Get slip
5. Compare
6. Use Moroso calculator or this > http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php
7. Realise that the only thing that is real is MPH and Et
8. Everything else will have excuses attached

Eat cake

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
You're right, the close ratio DSG in the M4 BMW that pulls gears like a V8 Supercar is a pretty joyful sensation and sound!
Performed remotely by a computer, robbing the driver of any of that joy. :(

The problem with manuals the way cars are now and the way people drive, they're hard to keep up with the traffic off the lights without a "boy racer" launch and bringing attention to yourself.
I’ve never experienced this.

Ooooooh!!!

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Performed remotely by a computer, robbing the driver of any of that joy.
Not in manual mode. The DSG in an M4 BMW behaves exactly as a sequential manual. The only computer over-ride is engaging the clutches when pulling up to a stop. A good DSG is nothing like an auto trans, it's more like a sequential dog box!

Here's an automatic V8 I'd regretfully admit sounds better than a manual Commodore on gear changes

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not in manual mode. The DSG in an M4 BMW behaves exactly as a sequential manual.
You’re asking the computers to please engage the shifter & clutches, if they feel like doing it when you ask …

… LC500 might sound better than a Commode, but it’s operator is stuck with an automatic gearbox, and is miserable as a result.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You’re asking the computers to please engage the shifter & clutches, if they feel like doing it when you ask …
I think you're confusing Commodore auto trans behaviour with performance 8 and 10 speed autos and DSG's. As far as pleasure goes, most performance enthusiasts don't get much pleasure driving the "slower" variant as the Mustang guys discovered, the 10 speed auto Mustang smokes a manual on the drag strip and a race circuit.

I think VF manual Commodores need the LSA ratio gearbox which is the VZ ratio gearbox with a shorter 5th and 6th. I think Holden messed the manual up in VE with with first and second too low and too gappy into 3rd and 4th like an old M22 One Tonner ratio. When they had 1st to 4th right in VZ, the necessity to mess that up in VE/VF is mystifying.