Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Redline VF2 rims

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I remember reading in The Stone Age Times or some other old newspaper that the reason staggered rims and tyres became an issue for the wagons wasn’t due to physical fitting as that is no problem, it was due to load ratings.

I don’t remember much but I do remember I’m often wrong.
Could this have been on HSV Tourers, maybe?
I just checked VEII, seems like neither Redline sedan nor wagon had staggered wheels; same with Z-Series. Yet we know for sure VF had staggerwagons.
Unless there was a staggered option not available for the VEII wagon?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Will 20inch staggered 9" front 10" rear fit a stock SS without rubbing? If not what about 8.5/9.5?

Also what's the law on size again? Within 2 inch of the original size?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
The law's different per state; NSW is 1" width, pretty-much no variance is allowed in terms of tyre outside diameter, and there's no limit on wheel diameter changes as long as the outside diameter of the tyres match the original.

But NSW rules aren't about what the car was delivered with but relate to the largest (possibly optional) size for that model as offered/compliance by the manufacturer … and NSW also treats HSV cars as Commodores in that respect. So an SV6 can be fitted with wheels 1" wider than those which were offered on a same-age GTS (as long as you stick to the same offsets of course) & no engineer's report is needed. Results may vary in different states, so check how SA's rego rules deal with it.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
All the hsv rims are offset correctly anyway right? No need for spacers

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
My main issue with my staggered HSV 8.5' 9.5' rims was finding a set of tyres 255 and 275 with the correct load and speed , which I couldn't so I have an unmatched set but correct load index

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
In relation what size you can go up with the law....The states are all identical....As long as the rolling radius is identical and the track isn't increased by 25Mm or 26MM over the widest track available for the car from the factory, they don't care how big you go with rims....

This 1" and 2" stuff went out over a decade ago

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
rolling radius identical to the factory size of the car or to the model with the biggest? ie GTS

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
rolling radius identical to the factory size of the car or to the model with the biggest? ie GTS

You will notice, all wheels available through out a model have an identical rolling radius....This is achieved by reducing the profile of the tyre, when the rim size increases....ie a 205/65R16 has an identical rolling raidus to a 215/60R16

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thanks thats what I assumed but wasn't sure. definitely will need to lower mine then as it doesn't fill out the arches enough. start looking at coilovers I suppose

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
As long as the rolling radius is identical and the track isn't increased by 25Mm or 26MM over the widest track available for the car from the factory
This 1" and 2" stuff went out over a decade ago
The 1” quoth above is the 25mm or 26mm you just mentioned. :)