Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

REDSS8 - my brand new VE SSV

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Post more pics of your sons Tractor. Looks much more fun than the VE:p

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Ha - Stealthy... well picked on the john deere pedal tractor with the optional front end loader!!!!!

rwlz - .... I couldn't justify the $1800 for the sat nav, when i only use a local street directory a couple of times a year. I fly interstate nearly every week, and hire cars, so i'm better off with a portable unit like a navman. What you can see is the video from the DVD, which plays on the screen when you are stationary.

Minux - Yep - the stripes are a very personal thing... I love them... the same way as i loved the stripes on the origional Monaros in their day. I'm not one for blending into the crowd....... I could never go a silver, white, or gold car... screams old man to me.

flatt 13 sec was a quick car in the mid 80's... keeping in mind that a REALLY fast street car back then with 350 with injection and a blower would output around 700HP and give times of low 11 's. Also keep in mind that the fastest holden of the day was the VK SS Group A, with the performance 304 ci would have been running 14.9

Re the L98 having nothing on a LS2 - I have now spoken to several performance centres, and all of them have independantly said that the LS2 is an older generation engine, that has to work harder to produce the 297 (VZ) 307 (VE) kw. HSV had an exisisting contract with Cheverolet to continue to use the engine, whereas the L98 is new technology, far superior heads and camshaft - and by simply adding a CAI, it will out perform a LS2 AND deliver much better fuel economy. You will get the same horsepower out of an L98 with exhaust, CAI, and Dyno, as you will with a LS2 running a supercharger.

FYI - one of the people I spoke to was also one of the mechanics for catapillar racing.

DMONEYX3 - re lowering it.... yep... got the price this morning.... lowered 40mm, $680

Rwlz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
rwlz - .... I couldn't justify the $1800 for the sat nav, when i only use a local street directory a couple of times a year. I fly interstate nearly every week, and hire cars, so i'm better off with a portable unit like a navman. What you can see is the video from the DVD, which plays on the screen when you are stationary.
makes sense plus you can spend that money on drive and handling improvements. I am waiting to see if I can do the same thing. Just moved here from the UK so dont know my way around WA that much and sat nav would be useful. Use TomTom right now but I will give that to the wife. I would prefer something built into the dash on my SSV to keep the clean sleak look of it. But rather than go with the dealer option I am going to see what some audio / visual car tweakers can do for that sort of money.

whereas the L98 is new technology, far superior heads and camshaft
which is why I went SSV too, $17,000 more for an R8 is a lot of improvements I can make to my SSV.

DMONEYX3 - re lowering it.... yep... got the price this morning.... lowered 40mm, $680
Let us know how it goes Simon, who is doing it?

Simon, did you get yours from new if so how much did it cost? I saw mine on a dealer lot, only has 122k test drive mileage on it. They had it listed at $54,990, then reduced it to $51,150. With a lot of haggling I got them down to $50,500. In the end I had got up and walked away but the dealer principal came out to me when I was in my car and said he would do it. Mine is the same as yours but no stripes, sunroof and DVD player.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
I paid $55,000 - on road brand new with all options. $5k of retail which was a pretty good deal I thought.

I agree you should go the sat nav... I lived in Perth from 1998 to 2000, then Sydney from 2000 to 2002... wish I could have had one then!

The suspension mod is through a place call D&T in Adelaide. They use pedders springs.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
nice car mate.
VE SSV is an awesome car...heck the VE is an awesome car alone :yeah:

As for the L98, it has nothing on the LS2 in stock form in the VE, especially because they not only produce more power, but the initial torque availability is much better. I am yet to see a stock VE SS put away a stock VE R8. With the extra weight in the VE the L98 is hindered big time.
thats not exactly true mixux. check out ls1 forum...been covered many times
the L98 has far superior heads and cam than the LS2, the L98 is producing some insane power from just bolt ons and is translated to good times at the strip.
latest was a 12.38s with only bolt ons street trim

and its seen many times that the holden claimed of 270fwkw from factory on a VE V8 L98 is crap as they are producing figures stock that are closer to 300fwkw.

in stock form i had no troubles with VE R8 off the line and right through the rev range....on the track ofcourse :whistling

my car in its current bolt on mode is producing 360rwhp (268rwkw) and that was at only 4000km old
a SSV over in sydney with same mods as mine plus a baby cam...a 22X/22X is popping out 430rwhp (320rwkw)

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Minux

As for the L98, it has nothing on the LS2 in stock form in the VE, especially because they not only produce more power, but the initial torque availability is much better. I am yet to see a stock VE SS put away a stock VE R8. With the extra weight in the VE the L98 is hindered big time.

Have you run your car down the quarter mile? Wondering if you have any times to substantiate your claim of the LS2 being a better engine than the L98.

Pabs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt commodore 5.0ltr
heres that arguement again boys lol mines better than your haha man they are so similar its not worth argueing about, mines an r8 stock form paid 62 grand on road cheap because of a mate that works at holden freo, put an ss induction system on it and got a maf tune and got 357rwhp from active automotive, didnt want to void warranty so stayed away from maffless tune but if i had of it would have produced 385rwhp due to the higher compression of the hsv"s than the ssv. So to beat yous all i got nos 150 shot efi fire wire which gives 520rwhp which only costs $1000 bucks and i think is alot cheaper than spending all the money on an ssv to make it more expensive than mine and not the chance of owning that HSV named car, if excessv adds it up hes spent more than me and got less power but each to there own boys not knocking dean at all cause its his car and it still looks one phatt ssv and thats what he wanted

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
heres that arguement again boys lol mines better than your haha man they are so similar its not worth argueing about, mines an r8 stock form paid 62 grand on road cheap because of a mate that works at holden freo, put an ss induction system on it and got a maf tune and got 357rwhp from active automotive, didnt want to void warranty so stayed away from maffless tune but if i had of it would have produced 385rwhp due to the higher compression of the hsv"s than the ssv. So to beat yous all i got nos 150 shot efi fire wire which gives 520rwhp which only costs $1000 bucks and i think is alot cheaper than spending all the money on an ssv to make it more expensive than mine and not the chance of owning that HSV named car, if excessv adds it up hes spent more than me and got less power but each to there own boys not knocking dean at all cause its his car and it still looks one phatt ssv and thats what he wanted
many reasons why i didnt go hsv ve...not really gonna go on about it here tho
and no i havent spent more than you and got less power.
get my car on active automotive dyno and it will read more than what it does now

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
maaaaaan... this is sounding like a ford vs. holden argument. They are BOTH GREAT cars.

Each to their own... I wish i had the HSV brakes... and I wouldn't mind the name associated with it... and i love the fact that my SSV has an HSV compliance plate under the bonnet because (believe it or not) of the track stripes.

Personally I dont like the look of the back end of the HSV's... reminds me of the days when wankers used to put LH & LX Torana tail lights in VW Beetles. (serves themselves right for buying a VW in the first place)

And whats with the black HSV badge under the flute in the front guards.. looks like they are trying to fill a gap with a piece of gaffa tape.

I paid $55k for mine, on road, with DVD player, sunroof, track stripes. If I spent over $60K I wouldn't have been eligible for the tax breaks of my novated lease.