Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reducing my SSV Redline wheel size

S_Rail

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline
G’day everyone, my first time posting, but I thought I’d air a stupid idea I’ve been having with regards to my stock MY16 ssv redline.
I’m looking at wheels, namely reducing the size from 19s to 18s, with perhaps a slightly larger sidewall to compensate. My main reason for this is a lighter wheel and the many benefits that this brings (I’ve read somewhere here that these cast ones weight a fair bit), plus there just seems more variety in 18s, 20s is getting too big.
However (and feel free to laugh at this) I kinda like the look of a slightly larger sidewall - reminds me of old stock cars, V8sc, etc.
Obviously many issues with this (ie clearances, etc) but do you think it would mess with the handling much? I live in far north Qld so I don’t have access to many amazing suspension shops, plus tuning suspension is more than I’d wanna do now anyway.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
If you’re on Facebook go have a look at the Chevy SS group. A lot of the Americans have put 18’s on their SS.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It won't hurt handling, clearance over the Brembos is probably your biggest hurdle.
Keep the original wheels for resale purposes though, most people would prefer the larger wheels with the lower-profile rubber ...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If it’s weight that concerns you, if you have cast 19’s you could consider forged 19’s which should weigh much less... there is an old thread discussing wheel weight somewhere within the forum.

If you want to go 18’s so you can have higher sidewall and less road shock from our poor roads, then it’s highly unlikely to impact handling too much. Obviously a higher side wall won’t turn as sharply as 20’s but maybe that will be acceptable considering how you drive on a daily basis.

As is, I’ve asked Holden on this related subject and oddly they don’t advise modifying your car o_O stupid liability issues likely :oops:

But upon further pressing, they did specify (in writing) some 19” staggered rims/tyres that would be acceptable on my Motorsport which came with forged 20’s. They also stated they have no 18” OEM rims available that would fit over the brembo brakes. And they do not recommend after market rims but said it’s your car to do what you want with it (obviously).

They also stated I could not reduce the rear rear rim width to be same as front rim width (to allow for proper tyre rotation). They say it has to do with suspension and ESC/ABS tune and such rubbish which I call BS. I believe it’s that they simply don’t want to update DOTARS RVD documentation to specify non split rim specs for the Motorsport... a simple cheap thing to do according to DOTSRs... and without official paperwork, it’s illegal to reduce rim width...

So as an owner, you can do what you want within the modification rules your state registration authority enforces. BUT if you want to reduce rear rim width, it’s specifically cited as illegal... Also, reducing or increasing wheel running diameter, greater than a small margin, i believe is also illegal...

But as you only want to drop rim diameter while increasing tyre aspect ratio appropriately you shouldn’t have an issue though @Forg says, your biggest problem is finding a 18” rim that would clear the brembos... On that front, there was an old thread that did specify a brand of forged 18” rim that did clear the brembos (posted my monstar?)

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
I know alot of people use Koya forged 18 rears for drag set ups, you could give them a call or email and see what they have in regards to style and clearence, then they can make custom sizes and offsets to get you what your after

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know alot of people use Koya forged 18 rears for drag set ups, you could give them a call or email and see what they have in regards to style and clearence, then they can make custom sizes and offsets to get you what your after
Brembo rears are easier to clear than Brembo fronts so unless 18” forged Koya wheels clear the front brakes, the drag car look may more be what OP desired :p

dimetime

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais 6lt
Brembo rears are easier to clear than Brembo fronts so unless 18” forged Koya wheels clear the front brakes, the drag car look may more be what OP desired :p
You can order what you want through a company like Koya, so 2x 20x9 fronts in one style and 2x 18x10 rears in another style, I believe the sf04 in the 20s and sf05 would look similar enough.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
You can order what you want through a company like Koya, so 2x 20x9 fronts in one style and 2x 18x10 rears in another style, I believe the sf04 in the 20s and sf05 would look similar enough.
I know one can order what they want but as I said it may not be what @S_Rail wants.

Guess he’ll say something more at some stage.... but with only 1 post to date, may be not o_O