Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reducing roll from the car when cornering

CraigAB

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Series II Berlina
IMO, Red is bad. Blue is best. Black is medium.

Well I'll find out as I just put Nolathan on our Toyota Estima. Brittle...hmm...wouldn't Nolathane have some type of warranty against that?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hi Craig, get yourself a Hotchkis front sway bar from the USA. - Monaro/Pontiac GTO 02-06... far superior to pedders or whitelines... don't bother with these. wait for the Hotchkis. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hotchkis-S...049571&hash=item58cd8c6391:g:1SkAAOSwwmJfOpQe

1/ sway bars front and rear. = Hotchkis front sway bar

2/ Strut rod bushes = SuperPro strut bushes https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SUPERPR...623057&hash=item4668b575fe:g:ovsAAOSwiDFYPiP~

3/ Front & rear shockers = go firmer on fronts, and not too firm on rears... or you will feel it regretfully.
4/ .....

Later on, go whiteline castor rod bushes, and superpro control arm bushes as finances allow.

And then Koni sports front = usa > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Koni-8641-...367922?hash=item46712b35b2:g:ZAcAAOSw9mpaHYb0

... Or BCracing coilovers from USa.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/BC-Racing-ZB-02-BR-Coilovers-Lowering-Coils-Kit-for-2004-2006-Pontiac-GTO-Front/224146476567?fits=Model:GTO|Make:pontiac&epid=2204564661&hash=item34302bce17:g:0GwAAOSw65xZnzi5
You can buy a front pair for $500 US.

All your cornering is cotrolled mostly, by the front suspension. and a little help from the backend; a heavy duty whiteline rear sway bar will suffice for the back with heavy duty rear link-rod.

And eventually a strut brace, as the commodore body strut towers will stress crack overtime, from the extra resistance these bits will add to the body.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Used-Ho...1beabf6:g:Cs8AAOSwnA9f72Mp&LH_ItemCondition=4

Why would you get parts from the US when you can buy local?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Well I'll find out as I just put Nolathan on our Toyota Estima. Brittle...hmm...wouldn't Nolathane have some type of warranty against that?

Nolathane doesn't go brittle that was Noletech back in the early days of Urethane bushes.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I got on the same deal at Repco around that time and got my Nolathane bushes 30% off which was great.
My VY (160ks) had original bushes in the front end, the front caster rod ones were the worst and would squeak plenty when you'd go over speed humps. I changed those bushes, the control arms (complete unit with new bushes), link pins, sway bar bushes all with Nolathane. The car felt much better straight away and feels a lot firmer through corners. The only problem is I had ball joints to do too, but couldn't get the tie rods off and noticed the inners were rooted so figured I'd leave them both and replace the lot down the track, The steering rack leaks so I may end up replacing that with a rebuilt one and doing the tie rod ends and ball joints at the same time.
It was a fairly easy job, plenty of videos on youtube showing how to, and it took me probably a day to pull it apart and put it back together again.

New control arms come complete with balljoints....So why do you need to do them again?

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the advice.
Multiple wheel alignments... I didn't know that, cheers for that!

So, I will be doing the work myself.
Most likely I will get the bits I need over time, then do all the work in one hit. And thus only one wheel alignment.
I was thinking about Monroe shockers, maybe they are a bit better than the OEM but not too expensive.

Nolathane seem to have the right firmness that I am chasing. It's what I just put in our 2004 Toyota Estima. The Commodore look like an easier job, as I had to take the engine mounts out of the Estima to get to the lower control arms.:mad:

Thanks again.
As i have not long done pretty much everything you want to do and did it myself the lower control arms are fairly easy to do, as i said i used the ultima shocks front and back took the car back to as good as it was when i got it it also raised it back up to factory height. Monroe shocks are factory fitted to these as i found out when i removed my rears they still had the holden sticker with the part number on them.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If you read any of the instructions with the urethane bushes you're meant to grease the bushes every so often.

As side from camber kit, rubber bushes for me from now on. urethane bushes are just too hard on everything.

eFeX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon acclaim 3.8
Why would you get parts from the US when you can buy local?
Price, and some things you can't get here. Like Hotchkis.

BC Racing have come out in recent years, after I had already started getting them from over there.
BC racing sell there coilovers to Pedders, who rebrand them. And add on costs.

Last edited:

eFeX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon acclaim 3.8
Which won't help a real lot if the shocks and springs are stuffed
i know mine were and mine is a 2004 model.
Coilovers do both shock and spring in one package, so should be price-compared to replacing both springs and shocks. for anyone going through this idea.

It would be nice to put expensive parts on it, but I just cannot justify the cost. I just wanted a bit better than OEM.
But I do appreciate the advice, as it make me consider what I am doing more closely.
Hotchkis front only sway bar 2nd hand come up fairly frequently, over on US ebay. = www.ebay.com
Just start an account on they're local eBay site and place a saved search for "Hotchkis pontiac gto used" and eventually they will contact you.
A complete new set for under US$500.00_ or used front only for around US$180.00 well spent money for the product.

Too hard urethane bushes will make a harsh and bumpy, and noisy ride.
Put hard where really needing hard, and mild were ride wants gentle. Then you have the best of both worlds. And a forgiving handler.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Price, and some things you can't get here. Like Hotchkis.

BC Racing have come out in recent years, after I had already started getting them from over there.
BC racing sell there coilovers to Pedders, who rebrand them. And add on costs.

Yea but you get support from a local shop.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
I replaced pretty much everything the OP is going to do and it cost me just over $500 au so why would you spend $500 usd on one part?