Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Refurb Steering Wheel

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi All,

Need to get the steering wheel for my VZ SS Ute repaired. I have one from a povpack isntalled as a temp replacement. Any recommendations on who and how much?

201206_Original Steering Wheel.jpg
201206_Steering Wheel Damage.jpg

Steering wheel cover is a cheap option but would like to take her back to the original look and feel as part of a resto project.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Any trimmer worth their salt should be able to sort it out.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
True, but I have seen some shoddy work so would prefer to use a known source.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
True, but I have seen some shoddy work so would prefer to use a known source.
Five years ago l use to hear $300.00 - $350.00 to recover a steering wheel. Now l'm hearing $500.00.

Find a good used one may be cheaper. With the money saved, you can put it towards some go fast parts? :)

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Find a good used one may be cheaper. With the money saved, you can put it towards some go fast parts? :)

Hi Lex

It all depends on what the price comes back at - will see what they are going for in good condition, She definitely needs a new wheel - can't have the poor old girl running round with povpack parts! hahaha

yes you will have to mail/ship the wheel but have a look at the results

Thanks Smitty - the work lkooks great - happy to post it - especially to Victoria to help you guys where I can,

Reactions: Lex

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)

Wow - the second hand market shocked me. Lucky I picked up the povpack one in good nick for $30. ePay are after $150 for a well worn leather wheel with the plastic painted spokes up to $795 for a NOS of the same style. There are recovered wheels of a different style of $400. More research required.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Good luck with your research and let me know what you find. I've been considering the same for a while now. My original wheel probably isn't quite as bad as yours but does have a few chunks out of it. Mine has the alloy spoke covers and I picked up a matching SS wheel complete with radio controls and airbag for $100 locally. Only fault was that it had lost its gloss black coating around most of the drivers side of the wheel. Weird how they all seem to wear differently. After researching various options, that wheel is now in my car with a $25 ebay, stitch on, steering wheel cover. Surprisingly it actually looks alright for a cover, black with red stitching so matches my Monaro interior.Only visible problem area is around the fatter parts of the rim where the leather won't stretch enough and you are left with a gap between the edges under the stitching. End of a long story - working for me as a temporary fix for now and fatter wheel feels nice to drive.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi Doc

I made a couple of calls today and I am waiting on replies. Will keep you informed of what comes of it.

I was thinking about the covers myself and was concerned about the enlarged wheel poarts so you have confirmed my suspiscions.