Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Refurb Steering Wheel

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
cOZWg5C.png

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I followed Doc's lead and hand stitched a cheap steering wheel cover over the damaged one. Fits like a glove.

Think I made a mistake by using doubled thread(like in normal sewing) when I did mine as I didn't have enough thread and the stuff I finished with wasn't as strong or neat. If I do it again I would just use a single thread. Here's what I bought:

[/URL][/URL]

@Doc59 I doubled up the thread and it was the perfect length. I have a standard wheel so I guess the difference is where the MOMO wheel has the thickenings. It turned out a treat and looks the goods - will get me through until I save the beer shekels to get the original retrimmed. It took me aroound three hours to do - I can see why it costs so much to have it redone professionally. I wont be shirking at the price after I have had a little first hand experience.

The two needles that came with the product were useless - raided the wife's sewing box and found some curved needles - they worked great. One broke on the last stitch - so just perfect I would say.

Here is the finished result:

20210113_Retrimmed Wheel 1.jpg
20210113_Retrimmed Wheel 2.jpg

If you look hard you can just make out the damage hidden under the new cover (centre top).

When I get to painting the interior I will respray the spoke covers.

Last edited:

Doc59

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro
Jolls, hard to tell by the pictures but did you sew through the leather all the way around the wheel? If so, I can understand how the supplied needles would havebeen useless. I pretty much followed the same method in this vid with single coloured thread though:

Still took a few hours as well.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@Doc59 I sewed through the leather so it looked as close as I could get to the original. The method dhown above would have been quicker.

If I did it again I would strip the old leather off so you couldn't pick up the area it was worn through.