Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rejuvenating paintwork on VT sedan

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
hello all

I have recently picked up a VT sedan in B168, Bermuda Blue

The paint is in reasonable condition considering age and mileage, but there are lots of fine scratches on it, looks like the previous owners driveway was overgrown with shrubs. I have tried rubbing with a general polish by hand- I have made some headway, but some scratches (still smooth to touch) aren't coming out easily. Any way I could be doing this better?

Also the front bar is caked in bugs. Bug off works if a scrape with a credit card. But etching remains. Would polishing help here or am I flogging a dead horse?

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Be careful polishing too much as you'll strip away the clear coat. Also, don't fall for the con-job products that say they "fill and repair scratches". Your best bet is to have a spray painter rub it all back and have a new coat of clear put on if you can afford it. As to the bugs...lots of over-the-counter stuff will do the job for you. I've used white vinegar before to do this job but you have to spray water over the area as soon as you get the bugs off because vinegar is like paint thinner in some respects.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Thanks....I have started polishing with a different compound and wetsanding. Only went through the clear once but it isn't that noticeable, very tiny section. Making significant headway.

I decided to get the front bar re-done as part of the hail damage work, as it was too far gone in the end (nasty bumper scrape that became apparent once I cleaned everything off)