Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Release Bearing Woes..

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hi All,
I've got a 1997 VT Exec V6 with the Getrag 5 speed, just replaced the clutch release bearing this morning after a suspect howling noise made its way in, whenever i pushed in the clutch and dissapeared when i took my foot off. replaced easy as, started her up and there it still is, that damned noise...i have a bit of an idea that it might be the release bearing guide as it's called, which sits on the g'box input shaft, this might be worn enough to let the bearing spin on the sleeve and cause the noise. however, i had a look at that(a quick one, the box was about to jump off the jack) and it looked ok to me.
Anyone with other ideas or run into the same problem?
Cheers

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW J&S Supa Sport Dune Buggy
What is the clutch release bearing? is it the thrust bearing? if so did you pack it full of grease when you put the new one in? also if it is the thrust bearing you're referring to they usually make a noise in neutral with the clutch out and dissapear with the clutch in.

If it is the thrust bearing you replaced and you packed it full of grease, then the noise is probably coming from elsewhere.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yeah, it is the thrust bearing, or whatever you wish to call it, but as for the greasing, its a sealed bearing, so greasing it wouldve meant trying to pull it apart, but it should be lubed from the factory when they are a sealed unit. my next plan of attack is to drop the 'box again, then put a dial gauge on the input shaft and rotate the output yoke to check to see if it is bent at all, i cant see this being the problem, but you never know. beyond that, i am sourcing a higher pressure clutch anyways, so i might just get the whole show ready and attack it at once....

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the bearing might be sealed but you still need to slather it in grease, it still slides along the input shaft and needs a bit of lube. Usually you can do a quick test to see if it needs some lube by spraying some WD40, or alike, onto the thrust bearing through the fork arm boot arpeture, this usually quietens them up, but I don't think that would be an option on the getrag since it has a hydraulic setup. It might have to wait untill you drop it next.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Yeah, over the few days since i have installed the new bearing, it has quietened down some, but i am still not happy, just trying to find out about a new flywheel for her, i am getting conflicting stories on the dual mass flywheel. some say you can get away with a single piece steel fly, some say that it will allow too much vibration from the motor through to the gearbox.....so, it wont be until i sort this mess out about the clutch that i will be dropping the box again.....

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Toa said:
Yeah the bearing might be sealed but you still need to slather it in grease, it still slides along the input shaft and needs a bit of lube. Usually you can do a quick test to see if it needs some lube by spraying some WD40, or alike, onto the thrust bearing through the fork arm boot arpeture, this usually quietens them up, but I don't think that would be an option on the getrag since it has a hydraulic setup. It might have to wait untill you drop it next.
another thing too, i see what youre saying about the bearing sliding along the input shaft, thats not an issue, but you also have to be careful that excess lube doesnt get flung off and comes into contact with the clutch friction material......
what do you do for a living by the way?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ecotec maniac, I run my electronic security firm, totally unrelated to cars, this is not an attempt at belittlement I hope?

About the dual mass flywheel, I'm not sure but I thought it was there to help the gearbox change gears easier or something by assisting rev matching or something??. I'm interested in the possibility of ditching the dual mass wheel as well as I just bought a getrag 290 box and accessories to put into my SS, and would rather put on a normal flywheel.

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
How about the spigot bearing that sits in the end of the crank...Just a thought it might give the same sypmtoms.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Toa said:
Ecotec maniac, I run my electronic security firm, totally unrelated to cars, this is not an attempt at belittlement I hope?
No man, i am not like that, i was just curious as you seem to be pretty switched on, thats all. I am a mechanical fitter by the way...
As for the dual mass fly, its primary function is to reduce the amount of vibration being transmitted through the drivetrain. similar to a balancer. when you say getrag 290, i presume its the same box as mine? or is it another box from the range?

Toa

Reaction score
Members Ride
The V6 copped the getrag 260 while the V8's got the 290, I think the 290 was slightly more beefed up with a higher torque rating.

I am at a loss of what the real torque ratings are though, whether the "290" figure is actually the rating in ft/lb or something or just a model number I'm not sure. I'm keen to find out what the ratings are as I'm planning a bit of forced induction and I'm a bit unsure if the box can take it, if it can't I'll have to sell it and get a t56.