Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reliability / Durability Thread

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I want to get a thread started for reliability and Durability. While I wont say no to a performance increase, I am largely after reliability and durability increases. There are quite a few things I need in the next few weeks and Id like to know what others have bought and how they went.

I need new injectors, and am curious about what there is available other than standard GM - Alloytec Injectors that have the same oir very similar flow rates to Standard Injectors. Perhaps they last longer, are more quite or maybe they atomise fuel better causing a better burn.

I will get new suspension later in the year and want suspension that is tougher than standard Holden Suspension, without loosing performance. Shocks are a big one as the standard shocks in my Calais dont last very long on the country roads surrounding me (Riverina NSW) So any suggestions on Shocks will be most welcome, but also advice on adjustable coil overs would be appreciated to as, I hope to replace everything at the end of the year, but first ill do the shocks because I need them right now. I would be looking at suspension (at the end of year) that one might use in a Targa Race, like the Targa Tasmania for e.g. Some of those roads are very very rough, so it needs to be tough.

Biggest thanks!

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
Kinforest Tyres have served me very well. I have 235/45 ZR 17's. While this current set is brand new, my last set lasted well over 70,000km and they still where just a little above legal. As in the had not quite leveled off with the Tyre wear indicators.

If you know of any Commodore product that is super Reliable or Durable then please Post it here. Because while I love performance I also love Durability and reliability

heyitsEnricoPallazzo

Big block Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ A4 Saloon
I can only imagine by the tyres you have chosen that you do not want to spend a lot of money on suspension?

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I had a set of Nexani Tyres for my 19's that came as part of a $1600 wheel and tyre package with VY senator sig's (copies).

They were **** tyres, I hated them and id never ever ever get them again, but I did 70000kms on them before camber wear on my lowered VS got to them and I started getting serious traction issues in the wet.

My new kumho tyres are heaps good, and I dont care how long they last, I will never get cheap tyres again.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Koni shock absorbers are fantastic - rebuildable too so you'd probably save money in the long run I guess.

Having said that I had a set of Monroe GT shocks in my old ute and they performed great - can't comment on 200,000km durability as I only did 40,000km on the things, but they showed no signs of dying

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
you say your shocks don't last long so if thinking of adjustable coils be sure to check that they can be rebuilt and at a good price

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The best thing you can do for engine durability is change the oil and filter often. Second to that, OEM shocks have a very short life, particularly if you drive on rough roads. Check out site sponsor GS Rallysport and get him to send you a set of KYB's. Don't waste your time with anything cheaper.

As always, use good fuel purchased from a reputable station. Any of the big stations that are busy is a good start as they will have their tanks refilled often and the fuel won't sit there for long.

Further to that, keep your car clean (top and bottom) and it'll last way longer than something that is let go.

Reaper