Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reliability?

Barry21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
im looking to buy a 2005 Vz Utility V6

It’s
Auto
Got 215 000 km on clock
Timing belt changed about 60 000 km ago
$4000 with rwc
Serviced regularly

What do you guys think in terms of relaiblity?
Am Inlaying too much ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it has a really good service history $4k is around what it's worth, providing it is in really good shape, (a lot of utes aren't) but try and beat him down a bit. The Alloytec is probably the least fave out of all the 6cyls.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
it does not have a timeing belt thay have timing chains eny noise from the motor check out timing chains on this site plenty of info about them

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Personally, I would say look for either a VX or VY,
I have read where people were saying the VZ's were a bit of a lemon,
especially the Alloytec V6's in the those models.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Personally, I would say look for either a VX or VY,
I have read where people were saying the VZ's were a bit of a lemon,
especially the Alloytec V6's in the those models.

A lemon?? Really? And your qualification for this spurious statement is...?
So...should l be referring to my 2006 VZ Executive with Alloytec 3.8 and 190,788km as a lemon, when it is a techie's fav at the garage? I'm soon taking it on its third 'trip around the block': around Australia in 5 months. ;)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
im looking to buy a 2005 Vz Utility V6

Got 215 000 km on clock
Timing belt changed about 60 000 km ago
What do you guys think in terms of relaiblity?
Am Inlaying too much ?

Drive belt, rather than 'timing belt'. The drive belts are extremely durable; mine has been on 11 years (!).
Timing chains when badly worn, will rattle when cold; this will be detectable and proven during a routine service e.g. oil change. It's then time to cough up around $2,400 to $3,000 and be without the car for 2 days while the chains are replaced.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Drive belt, rather than 'timing belt'. The drive belts are extremely durable; mine has been on 11 years (!).
Timing chains when badly worn, will rattle when cold; this will be detectable and proven during a routine service e.g. oil change. It's then time to cough up around $2,400 to $3,000 and be without the car for 2 days while the chains are replaced.

A lemon?? Really? And your qualification for this spurious statement is...?
So...should l be referring to my 2006 VZ Executive with Alloytec 3.8 and 190,788km as a lemon, when it is a techie's fav at the garage? I'm soon taking it on its third 'trip around the block': around Australia in 5 months. ;)
They’re a lemon of an engine. You said it yourself - spending thousands on chain replacement shouldn’t be necessary for the service life of the vehicle. Especially when the cost of chain replacement exceeds the value of the vehicle.

Holden made a big mistake with these engines. And the only people that defend the alloytec are the people who own one.

Ls1 VZ’s are much better for reliability but they’re not without electrical gremlins. I’d have a VY anyday for reasons of cost of ownership, resale and reliability.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
You said it yourself - spending thousands on chain replacement shouldn’t be necessary for the service life of the vehicle.

It's a lot of labour cost with the chain kit around $600 to $700.
Chain replacement is a normal, routine item that will eventually come up. How silly to suggest it will never occur "for the service life of the vehicle". That's like saying the injectors and spark plugs...even the battery, will never need changing! The hard truth is they will. Commodores of every type and persuasion are on the road somewhere with new chain kits, including, but not limited to, the old VX and VYs. There are at least 7 nearby me, including a VY owned by my bestie which has had a host of major services (chains too) and still has coolant issues. These supposedly fabled models "...are not angels with gilded wings!" (his words!), and I knew enough about the history of those particular models 10 years ago (Victoria Police and CFA) to have given them a wide berth. ;)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It's a lot of labour cost with the chain kit around $600 to $700.
Chain replacement is a normal, routine item that will eventually come up. How silly to suggest it will never occur "for the service life of the vehicle". That's like saying the injectors and spark plugs...even the battery, will never need changing! The hard truth is they will. Commodores of every type and persuasion are on the road somewhere with new chain kits, including, but not limited to, the old VX and VYs. There are at least 7 nearby me, including a VY owned by my bestie which has had a host of major services (chains too) and still has coolant issues. These supposedly fabled models "...are not angels with gilded wings!" (his words!), and I knew enough about the history of those particular models 10 years ago (Victoria Police and CFA) to have given them a wide berth. ;)
Sorry pal - you’re misinformed.

How many people do you know that have had to replace a timing chain on an Ecotec as part as normal maintenance? None I bet - it just doesn’t happen. ‘Coolant issues’? Sounds like you’re clutching at straws there. Never heard of any coolant issues either apart from $30 intake gaskets needing replacement when approaching 20 years old.

Spark plugs, leads, filters etc are considered consumables. Timing chains are not.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry pal - you’re misinformed.

How many people do you know that have had to replace a timing chain on an Ecotec as part as normal maintenance? None I bet - it just doesn’t happen. ‘Coolant issues’? Sounds like you’re clutching at straws there. Never heard of any coolant issues either apart from $30 intake gaskets needing replacement when approaching 20 years old.

Spark plugs, leads, filters etc are considered consumables. Timing chains are not.

I am misinformed? And clutching at straws? Cheeky, aren't you!
Yep, timing chains do go. VW Passats, Golfs, Tiguans (we have three in the family, and I have one from Uni); Toyota, Ford and Holden. I have driven them all and hold nothing against the names.