Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Relocating Coil in VS V8

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Hi,
My coil pack has died, and I am going to re-locate it. What's the best place? I was thinking behind the passenger's strut tower, it just means I need a 800mm coil lead from dizzy to coil pack. If I do this, should I get a bigger lead like 10mm lead to compensate for the extra length? I am only using 8mm spark leads.

Thanks,
Jim

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Doesn't hurt.
I've always run 9-10mm leads, never really noticed any difference. But I figure the extra insulation couldn't hurt. Makes them a bit stronger too if they're on and off allot.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Have a look at my profile, there's a shot of my coil (MSD Blaster SS) on the drivers side engine cover. The standard lead easily reached.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Have a look at my profile, there's a shot of my coil (MSD Blaster SS) on the drivers side engine cover. The standard lead easily reached.

Thanks for that. I haven't got my covers on at the moment as I am always pulling them off to do stuff. I might have to look at putting them back on. That's an interesting setup you have there. Mine is dual LPG/Petrol but looses a few KW due to the mixer being on the throttle body. I have looked at going direct one day. Does yours go alright?

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
It runs harder on gas than petrol, wants to rev and rev. I only fill with propane from SupaGas, it's cheaper and gives more power and more K's per tank. Around town I get about 330 K's per 70 litres and on the highway the consumption drops so far I reckon I'd get 600 K's plus.

T-rex

Reaction score
Members Ride
4 Banger Hilux
This is how I mounted mine, not the best place but it works. Its also a female one because when I went to get a new one they had run out of males.
2z7rhph.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Here's where I put mine. Won't work if ya still got all ya heaterbox crap behind the dash tho. Only takes about 10-15mins to pull the dashboard out so changing it or adding a wire isn't to hard a job.

DSCF3163640x480.jpg

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
mine was just off to the side (got the blue lead going to it) you could just use the same bracket thats holding it and screw it to the fire wall
and i went and bought a longer lead from auto barn, was only a few dollars

RIMG0180.jpg

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Thanks for your suggestions guys.
I haven't done it yet. I will be putting it up near the strut tower.
I am going to be a lazy person and going to be leaving the old one where it is :poke:

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
it is pretty easy to take the old one out, its only one bolt