Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote Fail

JessM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2005
Hi all,

Having a few issues with my remote.

The unlock button is not working but the lock is. Rather embarrassing constantly having to activate alarm to enter vehicle.

I have tried the resync thing (key on ACC, press lock then unlock) but not luck so I am assuming it is a battery issue.

Anything else I can try before I fork out $100+ on a new key?

Car is a 2005 VZ Exec Wagon.

Cheers,
Jess.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Iv never heard of this re-sync procedure, once a commodore key has been introduced then that's it. Sounds like the button itself may be broken or damaged, witch unfortunately leaves you with the only option of getting a new remote, 100$ is about the average price for a new key head but if you would like one a tad cheaper feel free to pm me an i may be able to sort something out for you.

Regards Shane

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
have you tried just starting the car once you've set off the alarm? that usually fixes the problem if the key's lost its coding. what about the spare key, got that somewhere?

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
+1 new remote head

trying to save dollars? try a locksmith for a remote might not have holden badge on back but will work the same when they program it for you!~

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Iv never heard of this re-sync procedure, once a commodore key has been introduced then that's it.

Sometimes the key can become de-synchronized from the BCM due to the rolling code process, and fail to unlock the doors remotely. The key can usually be re-synced by inserting it into the ignition and starting the car; however in the original poster's case they may have an issue with either the button itself or even the remote battery.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Sometimes the key can become de-synchronized from the BCM due to the rolling code process, and fail to unlock the doors remotely. The key can usually be re-synced by inserting it into the ignition and starting the car; however in the original poster's case they may have an issue with either the button itself or even the remote battery.

Older commodores don't operate on rolling code technology,

Phyco

Alloytec and Proud
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Acclaim Sedan
Older commodores don't operate on rolling code technology,

Yes I believe it was only models from either VS or VT onwards that adopted this, and as the OP is driving a VZ it would be a possible (although ruled out) cause.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
VE Commodore was the first Commodore to use true rolling code technology keys, anything older is fixed code.
The security system in a VE is a transponder system, were as the older system (EG VZ etc) is just one code hence the term fixed code.
When we program keys at work we punch the code into the RW4/AD150 an hit program if it were a rolling code that would take us forever to do.

In the interest of keeping this on topic as per what i said originally it is the remote (key fob) itself that is the issue in this case.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Underneath the rubber button on the remotes is a fairly flimsy plastic 'pole' that is depressed with each press of the key button. If the pressing is repeatedly vigorous or heavy, that tiny pole can break off: I know this because only one remote is available here with both buttons in mint operative condition, the other has one worn button (lock) and one broken button (unlock: the plastic pole is broken). It's not as if you need force or pressure to carry out either process; seems the previous owner was a bit of a heavy-pawed presser...