Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote Key for a 91 VN

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Can anyone tell me if a remote key can be fitted to a 91 VN commodore?

The car has a Statesman loom with climate control and L3 dash. I did not fit power windows and the car has after market central locking - no remote key. I have what I believe to be a BCM from a 91 VN Belina.

Can this be wired in and a key be programed?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
VN's dont have Body Control Modules....Not in the Berlina's

Are you sure the central locking is aftermarket? My Berlina has it stock and that didnt come with a remote key...

You can fit it to a 91 VN but you need a module of some sort that runs to the central locking and also picks up the signal from the remote... such as an alarm module or something

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I was told when fitting the new loom to work the climate control & calais dash that I may have trouble getting the car to work without fitting the BCM along with the power windows. I got her going ok after the anti theft wire was fixed by a sparky. Maybe I dont have a BCM - it may be a power window thing...

The central locking was fitted by me - very after market $69.95....

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah ok.

Well I have power windows, mirrors, central locking etc. and mine is a 91 Berlina but I dont have a BCM.

Just for reference if yours DOES for some reason have one, it will be located 15-20cm right of the left hand 4 inch speaker under the dash. Thats according to Just Commodores Spares anyway.

The Gregory's manual mentions no BCM for the VN including 91 models, up to the Calais.

Hampstead Auto Electricals who do the work for Plaza Holden also state no VN's had a BCM.

BUT, you never know... I was told to check my BCM when I had central locking issues which is why I know all the above ^ because I checked it out thoroughly trying to see where it is to see if I had one.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Didnt make myself tooo clear Sorry. I have a modual from another car that had central locking and was told it was a BCM. It may actually be a power window thing.
So can a BCM be grafted into a VN?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah yeah I realised it was from another car but I seemed to have forgotten that in my last post lol, sorry my bad.

Maybe grab a wiring diagram from a VR or something for the BCM, and then wire the central locking, power windows etc. through to the BCM following the wiring diagram... would be a fair bit of work though...Not sure if the BCM on its own will allow a remote key to work though?

If you want to make sure that its a power window module or BCM then I can take a photo of my power window module tomorrow for you to show you what it looks like exactly.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks that would be cool - end the speculation..

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
To add to this I'm not fitting the power windows. Just wish get a button type key to unlock the car. I figure if I can fit a loom and climate control I just maybe - be able to get a button key to work!!!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok here are those pics of the power window module.. The first 2 pics show the module, the 3rd is so you can get an idea of the size of the plug at the back.

Hope this helps :driving:

Attachments

• Power Window Module.JPG
    Power Window Module.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,213
  • Power Window Module 2.JPG
    Power Window Module 2.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,445
  • Power Window Module 3.JPG
    Power Window Module 3.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 687