Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote key problems

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I replaced both my dead VZ remotes with those MAP aftermarket fobs and programming module from Supacrap.
Had them for a couple of years now with no issues however I am doubtful they will last as long as a genuine fob.
I just swapped the blades from the old fobs to the new ones.
An easy DIY solution. Watch their instructional video on Utube and away you go.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve had no end of problems with those MAP keys. I have a bag of them from two cars. Failed keys.

All issues resolved with genuine key.

Kamia

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx executive
Remote just started working again??? Bloody cars :) will get it replaced.
Thanks for all your help guys,
Sam

Off
It could be the keys metal point needs to touch the ignitions metal points to charge the battery inside the key sometimes the metal strips on my vx 2001 get squashed in and I just pull them back out into place gently and it connects better with key

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It does not charge the battery. This has been gone over more times than a Star Wars movie plot.

Holden state it does not. The Holden factory manual states it does not charge. It’s in this thread that it doesn’t charge the battery.

It does provide power to complete the circuit when the battery has insufficient power. It doesn’t charge the battery.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
It does not charge the battery. This has been gone over more times than a Star Wars movie plot.

Holden state it does not. The Holden factory manual states it does not charge. It’s in this thread that it doesn’t charge the battery.

It does provide power to complete the circuit when the battery has insufficient power. It doesn’t charge the battery.

Agree. The battery in the key fob is not a rechargeable type. The battery model # is CR2032.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Agree. The battery in the key fob is not a rechargeable type. The battery model # is CR2032.

...And replacing the battery is difficult, if not impossible. It's "potted" into the circuit board.
I thought the job of the metal strips around the key slot are for the key to pass on codes for the BCM to know you are using the right key.
Otherwise just using the key blade (and a pair of pliers) would start the car?
On that, how long do the keyfob batteries last?
My VX (2001 model with 340,000 k's) still has both original batteries in the fobs and both work fine.