Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote key stopped working. Locked out. Help!

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
For the past 2 months the remote key would sometimes not work. So whenever that happened I would just stand there repeatedly pressing on the button and right when I am about to give up and call it a day...beep beep! It unlocks.
Repeatedly pressing on the button would always work whenever it didn't work, which was rarely.

Also whenever that happened, the car would not start. It would crank over and fire up for less than a sec as I would have to first press the unlock button for the blinking small red lock sign to go off before starting the car.

So today the same thing happened but I've been standing here for over an hour pressing the buttons but this time its a no go!

I thought it was the battery all this time so I opened up the key cover and wired up a new battery just to open the door but still it won't work.

I would also like to point out that the key itself won't work it unlock the car manually as the lock is damaged!

What's going on?? Any ideas?

Cheers!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sounds like the actual key.itself is failing

A dyin battery would still mean you can actually still unlock and start and drive off

Spare key at hand?

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
Sounds like the actual key.itself is failing

A dyin battery would still mean you can actually still unlock and start and drive off

Spare key at hand?

Unfortunately no spare key!
What do you mean the key itself is failing? What else could fail in the battery besides the battery?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
you can get replacement remotes that can be re-programmed , the key itself is actually part of the remote it unscrews , check out a dealership and they will do this for you .

Last edited:

freefallin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina / VZ SS LS1
you can get replacement remotes that can be re-programmed , the key itself is actually part of the remote it unscrews , check out a dealership and they will do this for you .

That is the obvious solution. however I am 200 km from the nearest dealer. In other words, I am stranded. I'm looking for a MacGyver solution.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You're screwed , ; p , just kidding I'm guessing the key on its own still works .

A9L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1
Genuine heads and keys are available on eBay (either separate or together) from licenced locksmiths.

I think if you have the code, you can have it sent to your door cut and coded, ready to go.

Its a 6 character alphanumeric sequence in this format: 1A-B1234.

Last edited:

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
For the past 2 months the remote key would sometimes not work. So whenever that happened I would just stand there repeatedly pressing on the button and right when I am about to give up and call it a day...beep beep! It unlocks.
Repeatedly pressing on the button would always work whenever it didn't work, which was rarely.

Also whenever that happened, the car would not start. It would crank over and fire up for less than a sec as I would have to first press the unlock button for the blinking small red lock sign to go off before starting the car.

So today the same thing happened but I've been standing here for over an hour pressing the buttons but this time its a no go!

I thought it was the battery all this time so I opened up the key cover and wired up a new battery just to open the door but still it won't work.

I would also like to point out that the key itself won't work it unlock the car manually as the lock is damaged!

What's going on?? Any ideas?

Cheers!

Key inoperative - no spare - lock damaged.

Even if you got in, you probably wouldn't get it started. I think your only option is towing.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
since the lock is damaged, your only option is to call a lock smith or a mobile auto guy like the RAA. Smashing a window won't un-deadlock the doors nor start the car.