Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remote key

T

tripodum

Jaycar electronics sells solder in batteries with tits for printed boards

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
If you take all keys in the willdo the lot for the price of one at my dealer. Therefore $80 and both Keys.

V

vktoo

replacing battery in VS key

HI. Its been a while since I logged on to this site and it took some time to again find it. I have a VS key problem but I can shed some light on your problem.

I successfully replaced the battery in one of my VS keys. I was also faced with the same question, would it loose its memory if I replaced the battery. To get around the problem I purchased 2 batteries. I ran 2 short wires from one of the new batteries to the PC board to keep it powered up and than removed the old battery. I then installed the new battery and removed the temp battery. The key worked fine. The biggest problem is keeping the key together. I bound it up with insulation tape and havent gotten around to doing something more permanent. It doesnt look very good and in fact at the moment the rubber seal is sticking out of the side so it looks pretty daggy.

My second key now has a problem. The rubber press button pad has cracked and fallen apart. so to use that key I now have to press the small button inside with a biro. My wife has put up with crappy keys for some years now because i refused to shell out the $104 for a replacement. that is $45 for the smart part and $59 to get it reprogrammed by Mr GMH. With this second key failure my wife has given me a deadline of Friday to buy a new one or get a divorce. I have now found a locksmith in Rockdale that will do a new black bit plus programming 'while you wait' for $80 so it looks like thats the way I will have to go. I think the battery type is a CR2032-1HFE. I purchased mine from WES ( Wagner Electronic Services) at Ashfield.
Hope that helps.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would bet that the memory would be lost if you took the battery out. vktoo was doing a clever thing by connecting two batteries. Simply put I would be very surprised if it was able to retain its memory for 6 months or whatever else some people claim. Chips just cant retain their memory unless they have power, so unless the key has a capacitor inside it that will hold a little bit of power for a few minutes for they very purpose of swapping a battery it theoretically shouldnt hold memory at all once the power is lost.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
ever hear of non-volatile memory?

I wonder if the VS keyhead has it?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Even if it was non-volatile it would not have a '6 month' life. I would be surprised if it did have such a setup.

M

Moylance

I've got a VR S1 Acclaim. The battery in the remote must be low, since I get very little range (have to be less then a metre) so if I was to take the key apart and replace the battery I wouldn't be able to get it back together?

If I lost the memory from the key I would be stuffed, since I only have one key. Maybe I should just splurge out and get a new key, and keep the old one as a spare, since I'm the only one driving this car..

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The key will not loose its coding if the battery is disconnected, the programming is written to an eeprom.
the only reason it may not work after replacing the battery is that it is stuffed because theyre not made to be cracked apart like an oyster shell.
new remotes can be got on ebay for $35 to $45 sometimes, most dealers will charge $25 to program it for you.
if you need a remote pm me, i can do them for $50 each including postage

Rob

snatchemstrap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
If you are getting a new key... don't go to holden... go to mister minute or alike. If they can read the code of your key (ie mem isn't totalled) you'll have a new key for about $25 less the Holden. (It even comes complete with the Holden insignia on the back as with genuines... if you care!!)

F

fuzzy84

just take it to the holden dealer, if u **** if you'll have to wait 45 mins in a vr and an hour in the the vs ect to start the bastard (providing u dont have a spare key.) the button fall apart your better off in the long run just to get a key programmed.