Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote start distance to car

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
noting that both my batteries needed replacing after 7 years - within a month of each other - and despite one of those remotes being used 10x more than the other.
[/QUOTE]
Exact same happened with mine.
One of mine almost never got used.
Must go out in sympathy I guess.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I park as far away from other vehicles as I can and I figure the walk won't do me any harm so at our local Bunnings I can remote start an easy 50m from inside Bunnings.

Always nice to come out and see that my car has a friend. Prob looked lonely way out there by itself :mad:

I know the feeling. I park as far away as I can with not a car anywhere around me. Sure enough, when I get back to the car someone has parked right next to me. Just in case parking right next to me isn't good enough, they have to make sure that their car is close enough that they can easily hit my door when opening theirs. Just for good measure.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
The distance these keys work is just stupid. We were out in my partners car, she was driving. I watched my Cctv. Going past Plumbing shop at number 38 I unlocked my car at home all the way down at 70. Even in modern new developments where everyone is crammed on top of each other, 16 plots of land isn’t line of sight.
Also managed to leave work in the work car, out of sight of my car. Got a phone call from my boss “get back here and shut your car up!?”
The remote transmitter is totally different than the pkes system. The range for the transmitter in AU is transmitted at 433mHz

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
The remote transmitter is totally different than the pkes system. The range for the transmitter in AU is transmitted at 433mHz
I’m talking about the remote buttons as the OP asked about the remote start distance. I don’t see why (or how) Holden would make each button work different distances.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I don’t see why (or how) Holden would make each button work different distances.

they dont.
the lock/unlock buttons are a different system to the pkes system.
there are 3 technologies inside a pkes type key, 2 of them require battery power and one is rfid that requires no battery.
all 3 technologies have different ranges.

this pdf explains some of it in the first few pages.

Kakodaemon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 SSV REDLINE
My remote start started playing before I had an injector failure. Most of the time it would start but every now and then i'd come out from work and the car wouldn't be on, maybe a few weeks later i had an injector failure.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I know the feeling. I park as far away as I can with not a car anywhere around me. Sure enough, when I get back to the car someone has parked right next to me. Just in case parking right next to me isn't good enough, they have to make sure that their car is close enough that they can easily hit my door when opening theirs. Just for good measure.

This exact same thing happens to me almost every single time.
My wife thinks I'm being way too sensitive about "just a car" and that it is a coincidence - just like the magpie strikes. Yea right!!

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Don't own a VF, my experience is with trying to open a roller door from 6 feet away, shooting thru the wall whilst sitting in the lounge room

Neither the roller door remote or key fob will work till I get to the door into the garage

The house is fully sarked and insulated

Normally the remote will work within 20 meters of LOS

Same thing at work, I need to lean over the balcony because my remote won't work to open or close the doors, and my mate, who has a remote start on his car, won't get the signal to the car unless he also leans over the balcony, the cars park under the building about 3 meters from the edge of the balcony, apparently it's the reinforced slab

My roller doors can be opened from anywhere in the house.

Their sensitivity can be adjusted and I have them set so I can open them when I drive into my street when I'm about 20 metres from my driveway.

I sold a house many years ago and the people who bought it were a real pain in the bum after the sale, it's childish I know but for the next 12 months or so until I got it out of my system, I would often press the old remote in my car and open up their garage as I drove pass, it never seemed to occur to them to change the coding.

I had something similar with a security camera setup I installed at home, the first time I switched it on I could see on my television the inside of the garage and several rooms of my neighbour's house who lived 4 doors away.

The lesson there is don't use the default code setting for security systems.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I park as far away from other vehicles as I can and I figure the walk won't do me any harm so at our local Bunnings I can remote start an easy 50m from inside Bunnings.

Always nice to come out and see that my car has a friend. Prob looked lonely way out there by itself :mad:

I do the same.

I know where the all the parking bays in the unground carparks in my area are that have a pylon each side and in outdoor carparks I try to get an end bay so I can park right on the outside line which makes it harder for the open doors of the car next to me to reach.

I also wouldn't let my wife drive her car in the garage, she'd park outside and I come out later and drive it in for her.

The car that is.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I had something similar with a security camera setup I installed at home, the first time I switched it on I could see on my television the inside of the garage and several rooms of my neighbour's house who lived 4 doors away.

The lesson there is don't use the default code setting for security systems.

another lesson is be careful which wireless security cameras you use as many of them have weak security that can be hacked.