Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote start noise - gone

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Thought I'd post this as general info.

The last few times I've remote started my car (usually only gets started a couple of times per week) there's been a metallic squeal which I thought might have been a pinion gear incorrectly disengaging.

Today I remote started it and got an on dash "change battery in remote" message.

Turned car off, went inside and grabbed spare remote, started (remotely) - no squeal.

Did it again - no squeal.

Tried with other remote - squeal.

Replaced battery in original remote, started remotely - no squeal.

No idea how or why but it's fixed.

Might save someone a trip to dealer/mechanic.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Thought I'd post this as general info.

The last few times I've remote started my car (usually only gets started a couple of times per week) there's been a metallic squeal which I thought might have been a pinion gear incorrectly disengaging.

Today I remote started it and got an on dash "change battery in remote" message.

Turned car off, went inside and grabbed spare remote, started (remotely) - no squeal.

Did it again - no squeal.

Tried with other remote - squeal.

Replaced battery in original remote, started remotely - no squeal.

No idea how or why but it's fixed.

Might save someone a trip to dealer/mechanic.
Were you holding the remote against the side of your head at the same time as you pushed the buttons on the remote?
This is supposed to increase the strength of the remote. Why your head, I don't know.
Maybe this is just a random musing.

Redline 2017

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF 2 SSV REDLINE
Were you holding the remote against the side of your head at the same time as you pushed the buttons on the remote?
This is supposed to increase the strength of the remote. Why your head, I don't know.
This is true. Works a treat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS A6

Doesn't explain the squeal.