Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote start

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
It's summer days like this I really, really wish my manual had remote start...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think there would be compliancing issues with remote start on a manual.

However, cooled seats would have been a pee in the hand for Holden to have include should they have been bothered.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ yea, interesting product which they say it is legal but I have some reservations about that.

When you park, the law requires that you make your vehicle safe which means placing the auto in park (which locks the drive shaft) and putting the hand brake ON. Remote start will then work to start the vehicle, if it is an auto, but the gear lever must be in PARK.

With a manual, same requirement, so place in gear and apply hand brake. So how can remote start work unless the gearbox is in neutral? If this system requires the gearbox to be in neutral, then you haven’t made the car safe when you parked it so you aren’t complying with the law.

If the system can select neutral via clutch and gear leaver actuators, cool. Expensive but cool, though I’d still think the system should then also apply hydraulic brake in case there is a park brake failure... you know to be sure to be sure...

Cooled seats would be much easier, and legal ;)

Last edited:

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
The top of line GPS tracking system could probably lower insurance rate and could definitely claim on tax if its a work vehicle.

still seems steep

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@abuch47, posted to the wrong thread maybe?

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
Remote start on the VE auto will start in both Park & Neutral.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Remote start on the VE auto will start in both Park & Neutral.
I haven’t checked if my VF2 MSE will actually remote start in neutral but the owners manual states it definitely won’t (along with listing a bunch of other non start conditions).

However, my horn will beep if I try and lock the car while the gearbox is in neutral so the vehicle logic definitely wants me to have it secured in PARK before I walk away. Wonder how the manual MSE fairs in this regard?

Now I’ve never owned a VE but I’m surprised this Holden would allow neutral remote start as it is definitely not a safe think for the manufacturer to support.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
The top of line GPS tracking system could probably lower insurance rate and could definitely claim on tax if its a work vehicle.

still seems steep
You would think so, however I rang around a few insurance mobs that all said installing a GPS tracking system will have no effect on insurance rates - unless the car came standard from the factory with GPS, which I'm surprised most cars don't. Even my power tools have GPS tracking via Bluetooth.