Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote unlocking fail

Pcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Omega LPG
Hello all,

The buttons on my key head were falling apart, so I ordered a replacement set online. Did the same thing when we first bought the car for the 2nd key (that she indoors uses) which was falling apart at the time - and all was well on that occasion.

This time, I pulled the case open and replaced the skin, but after I had it back together, the remote is not working at all. I can hear the switch mechanism clicking on the board in the key head, but the car is not responding in any way. It had been working perfectly before the change. The 2nd key still works fine.

I could almost accept that I'd just fritzed the transmitter (I'm an electrical technician, and am pretty sure I didn't - but whatever), but that the transponder also seems to be not working. I can unlock the door with the key in the lock, but doing so sets off the alarm every time. Never got to trying it in the ignition, because the alarm was going off (which I stopped with the other key).

Could I have left the battery off for too long so the key and car forgot about each other? (only a few minutes - the new shell didn't want to clip together to start with), or is some other malady more likely?

Thanks in anticipation...

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
it might sound stupid but did you put the battery in the right way?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If the alarm goes off, put the key in the ignition and turn it on, alarm should cancel.
If you replaced the shell, did the transponder get swapped over as well?

Pcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Omega LPG
Thanks guys. Yes the battery is the right way around, and the circuit board and key were both switched to the new shell. I'm working on the assumption that the transmitter and the transponder are both on the circuit board - as I don't see anywhere else the transponder could be.

Pcal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Omega LPG
it might sound stupid but did you put the battery in the right way?

Thanks Asmodai78. The battery was in the right way, but you got me thinking outside the square... The battery terminals that contact the side of the battery had been bent just a little out of shape (probably when the new shell didn't quite line up properly on the first attempt at closure) and were not making contact.

After a minor "adjustment" everything is good again. :)

Thank you.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks guys. Yes the battery is the right way around, and the circuit board and key were both switched to the new shell. I'm working on the assumption that the transmitter and the transponder are both on the circuit board - as I don't see anywhere else the transponder could be.

Pretty sure the transponder chip is attached to the shell.
There is a thread in the VE forum about it.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Is it a Flip Key, or a Non flip Key ?
I have attached two photos of the location of the Responder Chip on both Key Heads,
[Red Circle indicates the Chip Location]
Keeping in mind,
On the Original Non Flip Key Head, the Chip has resin holding it in, and to get it out, you have to niddle away the plastic on the side so NOT to damage the chip, assuming you have a replacement Non Flip Key to place it in.
On a Flip Key, they have held it in with a dob of silicon, or similar.

On a side note,
my original non flip remote failed, where the Responder chip was ok,
I purchased a complete blank flip key with remote and chip,
I then nibbled away the plastic around the original chip, and around the Key Blade with side cutters, and removed them both, and cleaned them up from the old plastic pieces still attached to the chip and blade.
On the new Flip Key, I then removed the New Responder Chip and placed the original one in,
then removed the new blank blade from the hinge mechanism, held in with a very fine dowel pin, [also circled it in the third photo]
With a Vernier Caliper, I measured the distance to where the slot is on the new flip blade, then filed a slot on the old Key Blade, slipped it in the new hinge, re-fitted the dowel pin, then all I had to do it Program in the New Transmitter, turned a Non Flip Key into a Flip Key.
Didn't have to mess with the immobiliser programming, just the Remote Unlocking and Locking.

Attachments

• VE NonFlip Key - Chip.jpg
    VE NonFlip Key - Chip.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 189
  • VE Flip Key - Chip.jpg
    VE Flip Key - Chip.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 200
  • VE Flip Key - Dowel Pin.jpg
    VE Flip Key - Dowel Pin.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited: