Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remote way to open the sportwagon hatch

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The button in the underside of the handle is going to, at it's core, have a simple contact switch. I guess there's some form of CANBUS connector involved somewhere, but if it's possible to access the bit that's just an electrical contact, you can bridge that contact pretty easily ...

They've buried this photo a little deeper than I could be bothered digging to embed it, but it appears from the photo on this eBay listing that the plug attached directly to the switch is just a basic two-wire ... I reckon it's pretty likely you could tap into those two wires, and your remote button just needs to bridge them. If you were to remove the tailgate trim, and if that plug is easy to access, you could probably use a pair of voltmeter probes inserted in whatever that plug plugs-into & see whether touching the two probe wires together unlocks the hatch (might need to be closed to have an effect).

yep, tapping into that wire with another momentary switch should do it.
when you look at it that way it is a simple job.
just run a 2 core wire from inside the rear tailgate to the dash with a switch and connect it to the wires on the rear push button and it should work fine.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 68

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
yep, tapping into that wire with another momentary switch should do it.
when you look at it that way it is a simple job.
just run a 2 core wire from inside the rear tailgate to the dash with a switch and connect it to the wires on the rear push button and it should work fine.
I think the issue with that idea is the weight of the cargo door, when you open mine you need to be holding the switch & pull up.
If not it latches again.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think the issue with that idea is the weight of the cargo door, when you open mine you need to be holding the switch & pull up.
If not it latches again.
Your struts may need replacing or re-gassing, ours doesn't re-latch.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Probably irrelevant, but the first mod I did to my VX was to install a secong boot release switch where it was convenient for the driver to reach...
Same method. Pop out the actual switch, check volts etc and how it works. Trace wiring ot close to where I wanted the second switch. I installed it "ion" the curve of the bonnet release lever, but on the kick panel. Very convenient as I can release the boot when getting out of the car so it's open when I get to it. And, I discovered some time later, if I accidentally release the boot while driving, the next bump closes it!
To the OP: Just be careful you don't release the tailgate while the car is in motion. I did that accidentally in my old Mitsubishi Colt. The vacuum created at 60+ kph was suffiicient to open the hatch! VERY embarrassing!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
To the OP: Just be careful you don't release the tailgate while the car is in motion. I did that accidentally in my old Mitsubishi Colt. The vacuum created at 60+ kph was suffiicient to open the hatch! VERY embarrassing!

i have never had a vf wagon but in many other recent gm models when the vehicle is in motion or not in park etc the bcm disables the opening of the rear hatch, not sure if the vf has the same programming.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
it could be possible...
you would need to pull out the actuator and see how it works and see if you can provide power to get it to actuate.

the latch at its core is just an electromagnet and if you can find a way to trigger it then it will actuate regardless of the bcm etc.

if you can trigger it then you could set a switch to provide that power which would cause it to actuate and open the hatch.
use a volt meter and test its normal operating voltage, it will more than likely be 12v but you should test to make sure you dont over volt it.
you would also want to add a diode to prevent backfeed into the original circuit if it does not have one but being a coil it should have one.
My Calais V sedan has a boot open switch on the driver door.

So in theory, the OP could source a Calais V sedan driver door card and get an electrician (or DIY) to wire up the hatch door switch to the one on the driver door.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
You can with a scan tool :p
Which tool can do it ?

VxDiag Nano ?

Wouldn't be too hard to scan the bus while the tool is being used to open the hatch and find out the code.

Anyone whiling to sponsor the project ? I need a supercharger. But i would be very happy with only a nitrous kit.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Which tool can do it ?

VxDiag Nano ?

Wouldn't be too hard to scan the bus while the tool is being used to open the hatch and find out the code.

Anyone whiling to sponsor the project ? I need a supercharger. But i would be very happy with only a nitrous kit.
Yes vxdiag. All through GDS2