Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal if the intake duct?

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Olympic Edition S2
Hey everyone, i know there are a million things on here about custom intake mods. But while i was staring blankly into my engine bay, i thought about removing the intake duct (the goes front he on top the radiator to the bottom of the air box). I removed the two screws and took out the duct. it looks as though it would work well, besides that it would get a lot of hot air from the engine. Though if a little heat shield was put in place this problem may be fixed.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and how well it work?

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
just get a big mouth otrcai, problem, if any, solved. leaving the bottom of the air box open is asking for trouble

kalekale

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina
I dont understand what you did. Did you just remove the snorkel? You need that.

ANL53X

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Olympic Edition S2
i didnt drive with it off. considering that most CAI's are around the $400 mark, i was just curios at to see if this would work, with minor mods to prevent more hot air getting in and any unwanted particles.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
LOL - possibly. Autospeed has a few articles on reducing intake air flow restriction - and how to test for improvements or otherwise.

I recall there being an article about how to open up the duct intake on a standard V6 OTR intake somewhere also.

The air flow without the duct may in fact be worse as there is not a column of air travelling with velocity from the duct but rather lots of turbulence around the sharp edge of a hole => to testing.

Holding a cigarette (smoke source) near the intake of a running engine might give a quick idea about what is happening...