Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal of Head Unit - Help

dhenl2

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Commodore Executive VZ Wagon
Hello, I have been researching ways of removing the factory head unit from my Commodore wagon for a week now, so I thought I'd have a go at doing it myself today and boy was it a lot harder than what it appeared on Youtube. At the moment I can't remove the head unit. I've seen and read about people removing their head unit with ease by just putting 4 coat like pieces into the four holes. I have struggled for 3hrs attempting to pull it out, but it just won't budge. And also I have removed all the plastics surrounding the head unit. If you guys can assist in any way I will be very thankful. My car is a Holden Commodore Vz Executive Wagon (2005).
Or simply point me in the right direction (eg. Links)
Thank you.

99notout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equip Wagon
The wire you use has to be a fairly tight fit in the holes. Here is a copy of the text from the service manual:

Remove
1 Eject any CDs that may be in the changer.
2 Ensure the audio system is off.
3 Using the special service tools KM6067 (1), insert the
tools into the access holes and push the service tools
in to engage the barbs of the retaining spring clips.
4 Apply outward pressure to the service tools to release
the spring clips then pull the audio head unit (2) out of
the cradle.
NOTE
• The wiring connectors remain attached to the
audio head unit housing and will disconnect
on removal of the audio head unit.

mrjayviper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
there are removal tools/metal pieces being sold in ebay for this purpose. not very expensive. good luck

pbax

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I used 4 allen keys because it was more sturdy than coat hanger wire which was the only other thing I could find at the time.

This pic is a side view of the stereo, the black bit should be fixed to your car and the two circles are the clips (2 on each side of stereo) you need to push with the tool/allen key/wire whatever you use so they allow you to slide the stereo out of the black bit once they are pushed in.

stereoside.jpg

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
there are removal tools/metal pieces being sold in ebay for this purpose. not very expensive. good luck

I used those rather than stuff about with coathangers. Cost about $4 ? Can't have taken me more than 10 seconds at the max - yesterday, and I'd never done it before.

They click into place and then push them outwards (toward the car doors) and pull. Ta-da ! The head unit came out with them attached.

Couldn't be easier - with the right tool.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
4 x 90mm framing nails - shove them in the holes, gently squeeze the 2 'prongs' on each side together vertically and slide towards you. budda bing - easy :)

A chopped up coat hanger also works fine.