Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal of non stock head unit?? vz

Dan0s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey guys,
I've got a vz sv6 with 2 rear parcel shelf kenwood speakers which came with the car when i bought it. One of the spakers isn't working. Ive tested it and figured out the speaker is fine, the wiring is the problem. Im guessing the wire has fallen out behind the head unit but i cant seem to get the unit off so i can actually get to the wires. Help please? Ive got some pics to show you what im dealing with
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0218.jpg
    IMG_0218.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0216.jpg
    IMG_0216.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0214.jpg
    IMG_0214.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 314

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
http://manual.kenwood.com/files/4d0979ae94e48.pdf

You need the Kenwood removal tools. Any audio installer worth anything will have at least one pair sitting around and will have this out in approximately 10 seconds (I kid you not). I would be surprised if they even charged you anything.

Dan0s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Thanks for that
Is there any way you can get it out at home with like a couple of butter knives or something? If not where should i go to find someone with the removal tools

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
kenwood removal keys wont help one iota, the unit is screwed to plastic mounts on the fascia. you have to pull that whole black fascia out. it can be a bitch, 4 plastic tabs hold it into the dash, 2 one each side. no easy way about it, get something behind the fascia, and pull it forwards. you can try sliding knives down the sides, ~1 inch down from top and bottom on either side. might be able to feel the tabs.

id suggest first, to save some effort pulling the fascia out, take the glovebox out, undo the 2 screws on the side panel of the center console, and slide the side panel down. this will give you access to the wires, you can pull the harness out so far, which should give you access to the iso plug. you might be able to unplug the harness from the unit, but itd be a tight squeeze. if you're lucky, you will have access to where the wires are joined, and can check for the wire thats loose.

Dan0s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
cheers guys, ill have a crack at it tomorrow and let you know how i go

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Its a tight fit so a knife may or may not fit down there.

When you need to do is push the part pointed at by the arrow away from the unit, in the direction of the arrow. If you are tight on room, try one side at a time, and push from the back at the same time so it doesn't click back in. I got mine out with only one of the tools easy.

snc000191.jpg

If you can't do it, then this is what the tool looks like. Anyone that installs car audio should have one. Try searching the directory for car audio installers, or try stores like WOW Sight and Sound, JB Hi-Fi, Strathfield, etc.

snc00020h.jpg

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS

When you need to do is push the part pointed at by the arrow away from the unit, in the direction of the arrow. If you are tight on room, try one side at a time, and push from the back at the same time so it doesn't click back in. I got mine out with only one of the tools easy.

snc000191.jpg

If you can't do it, then this is what the tool looks like. Anyone that installs car audio should have one. Try searching the directory for car audio installers, or try stores like WOW Sight and Sound, JB Hi-Fi, Strathfield, etc.

snc00020h.jpg

not having a go at you mate but the unit in the vz and the unit in your vx are mounted totally different

http://forum.street commodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=8466291
that will give you an idea on how to pull the dash apart and once you have the dash part off you will be able to see how the cd player is mounted

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/2646/snc000191.jpg

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1909/snc00020h.jpg

this is the pocket that is in the car. the unit is screwed onto it(no cage), the circled green bits lock into locating tabs in the car on both sides. this is what will make it hard to get out.

FP9046.jpg