Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removal of VZ Head Unit

vzuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
G'day,

I have a VZ Ute and I've tried everything from four pieces of fencing wire (All sorts of gauges!) and coat hangers to put into those four little holes to unlock the head unit. The bast*rd just doesn't want to come out. I've heard that at the back there is AV plugs (Possibly for and amp?) and facility for an extra set of speakers as the ute only comes with two. It's my undertsanding that you must goto a holden dealer and get them to program that radio so it has the fader option (As it does in the sedans) and you can hook the extra speakers up.
:thumbsup:
Can anybody help me out with this? Cheers!!

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
as far as i know it should just pull out with the coat hangers in, you may need to gently pry it out with a small flat head screw driver, VERY GENTLY so you dont scratch your dash, also open the compartment below and get your fingers in there to give it a tug, if not got to a local car audio place ask them to remove and give em like $10, it'll take em 2 seconds

K

Konker

haha. this is good. SOME commy just need the old key come coathanger to get them out. if it was assembled in adelaide tho there are two screws either side of the head unit you need to undo. dont ask why just belive me. if it doesnt come out with the coat hook take dash facia off and undo the two screws

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Konker, I have NEVER found two screw beside the head unit....10 cars per day for 2.5 years......

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Hey vzuterus...

Hate to burst your bubble Mate, but there aren't any "AV plugs" (I assume you mean line level outputs) in the VY/VZ head unit. (well, unless I modify them with my soon-to-be-famous buffer board modification anyways!) ;)

Hey King - howya doin'? They treating you OK over there in the States?

Cheerz All.

vzuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Really? So it's a myth that you can put two extra speakers, an amp and a subby through connections in the back of the stock head unit? I like to keep things stock and don't want to change the head unit. I'd just like to wire my amp up to the head unit then possibly fit two 6X9's and apparently you can get a software upgrade for the head unit to include the fader setting on the head unit? I want to keep it as original as possible by keeping that head unit and hiding the 8" sub behind the seats with the 6X9s.
Is this possible?

Phreddy

Bye SV6 - still love you
Reaction score
Website
www.asr-audio.com.au
Members Ride
VS-II Statey-8
Well, not actually a myth - but it's done with high-to-low level converters, and the biggest drawback with those is that the onboard power amplifiers generate most of the distortion - so you're feeding a low level signal to the external amp, but it's already distorted.

Low level outputs CAN be pulled from the factory head unit, but it requires a modification. Anyway, won't rabbit on too much here - check out this thread http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=14974

I believe the system in the utes can have the rear channels enabled - something to do with hooking up TECH2 and reprogramming the unit. Then all four channels can be fed out of the head unit low level BEFORE the power amps, and it's really nice and clean. When the mod is done, you'll never pick it from stock until you turn up the volume. ;)

Cheerz! :thumbsup:

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Hey vzuterus to be honest, if you are running 6x9s I wouldn't bother with the 8" sub. The 6x9s can provide more bass then what the sub will. Perhaps consider upgrading to a 10? Ideally a 12.

Phreddy, the states is going well. I'm now driving a dirty great Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup with a 5.9Litre V8 !!! Yeah baby, loving my 15mpg! Meanwhile my wife is driving a new corolla and is getting 35mpg!

V

VYDave

:cops: Hey vzuterus,

I've taken my head deck out today of my VY, and found the easiest way to get it out was to use 4 allen keys (fits perfectly into the holes). You need to remember also that the clips on the side of the deck need to be pushed inwards towards the deck to release it from the factory cradle, so as you slide it out push the allen keys away from the deck outwards. I had a mate help so we could attack it from both sides, making it easy for me. Hope this helps! You'll also find that there are no AV leads. These are only in models fitted with a holden amp and sub from the factory.