Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remove LPG setup

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Hi guys im looking at getting another vs ute.
This one has LPG fitted, im looking at getting rid of the gas and just use Petrol.
Can i just remove all the lpg stuff or would it need another cert for removal.
Im changing the motor and box in the ute and don't want any LPG.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I don't see why you would need a cert when you remove it.
The lpg cert says the lpg install is good.
No lpg, no problem.
As long as nothing you do to the vehicle outside of standard issue needs cert, you should be fine.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Thanks Deuce, i have never had LPG on a car so i know nothing about it.
One would assume just rip it out and away you go but im finding not all things work that way.
I have an L67 Motor n Box to drop into it and have no intention of using gas.

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
LPG can give you serious burns and is under decent pressure....be careful and use some common sense... ;)

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
There should be a shut off valve at the tank to turn off the gas supply to the engine,
and there will also be wiring changes to deal with, along with, I imagine, computer changes,

however, gas has a strong tendency to blow things up, and,

THE FILLER COULD BE UNDER CONSTANT PRESSURE WHILE THERE IS GAS IN THE TANK, SO I WOULD STRONGLY SUGGEST, AS YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT GAS, GET SOMEONE WHO DOES KNOW, TO REMOVE IT FOR YOU.

Please

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just for others that are contemplating on doing much the same but not changing the engine format, you'll probably find that the Memcal will need to be changed back to a Petrol only unit as many are dual fuel Memcals and don't give you the best settings for petrol as they are a bit of a compromise between Gas and Fuel while the original Memcal is all fuel dedicated.

Cheers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I removed gas on my old car. Just leave the filler tube on if you can. Like mentioned you can turn the valve off. But it shouldn't squirt out anyway unless it has power to it. I have filled gas cylinders before with the gas from the LPG car tank, after it was removed and it required a 12v battery to get it flowing.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Good info Losh.
My 1970 landrover 202" ran on lpg only for around 8years.
Then when out of gas one day (at home), i stripped it down to fix chassis rust. Cut off filler mount. Removed tank and all hoses/mixes/hat etc and converted back to petrol only.
Problem was that FLS was seized, and the fuel tank leaked at the seam if filled over halfway. Oh and leaked around drain bung.
But man it was awesome fun.

P.s don't blow yourself up playing with fuel and/or gas.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I used to install and service lpg over 20 years ago. It was always a joy when a customer had their vehicle booked in for a tank inspection and lucky for us they filled it up the night before.
We had no gas pumping facility and could only get half out at best into another spare tank we might have.
Could not let the rest go to atmosphere so we hooked up a long copper tube to burn it off. Huge flames we always great during winter time and would be totally illegal now and against safework practices.

One of the other mechanics had a fitting on his vehicle where he could fill or run off a BBQ bottle.