Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remove right hand side exhaust from exhaust manifold

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on how to undo the nuts on the right hand side where exhaust pipe connects to exhaust manifold. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
I can only guess with the appropriate spanner.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Normally from under the car, with a socket on a long extension. Hit it with some WD40 first and let it soak. Better still if you do it when it's hot.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I use a 3/8" socket sets and get it from under the car. Might need an extension from a 2nd set to get the length and a uni-joint somewhere in between.

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks woteva. Have to get a uni-joint, then I'll get one of them. I'll try it on the other one but it looks very difficult to get to.
Thanks Immortality. I heated the left hand side with propane torch, they were easy to get to.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Naked flames and fuel systems............mmmmmmmm

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Naked flames and fuel systems............mmmmmmmm
Isn't that what exhaust places do frequently? Pretty sure they used to.

HGK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Thanks guys, I got a universal joint socket and wrapped it in duct tape so it wouldn't move around too much and a deep 13mm socket. It wasn't as difficult as I first thought. Heated the nuts up till they were red hot and sprayed them with degreaser. Managed not to cause an explosion and it wasn't too hard at all. Thanks for the tips. As far as "fires" go I had a HX holden that I took to an exhaust place to get the muffler replaced and they must have used an oxy torch for some reason and I was driving home and the carpet in the back seat floor area started smoking and by the time I stopped the car was well and truly on fire. It was a really hot day and a guy stopped and wound up all the windows in the car and that slowed it a bit till the fire brigade came.

Last edited: