Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Remove V8 sump while still in car?

Circlotron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec 5L BT1 ex cop, ex taxi
Short story is the big ends rattle a bit before oil pressure comes up, and I want to make the car last another year or two without spending real money on it. After that will give it to a mate to fit the running gear to his LC. Has done 500,000+ km without being opened up. Anyway, can the sump be dropped on these things without pulling the engine out? And if so, can you get to all the big end caps?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
it'd would be easier to pull the motor out at least you know it'll be done right the long way is usually the shortest doing just the big ends is a waste of time either rebuild the whole motor or don't bother from other posts I've read about the said car it should be in the dunger yard or you talk it as a **** heap I picture it about the same as my VQ it went to the dunger yard 5 years ago. (320k was all it got)
Its not that hard to drop the K-frame while holding the motor up.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Easiest would be to use an engine support beam and remove the kframe
cam bearings would most likely need doing as well.... not the easiest diy job.
image_11976.jpg

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Short story is the big ends rattle a bit before oil pressure comes up, and I want to make the car last another year or two without spending real money on it.

Honestly, and I don't know what you plan to achieve by swapping out bearings???
But, dollar for dollar you are probably better off just swapping the motor for another good runner now if you need another 2yrs from it.

Me thinks setting in the top shell in the rod will be a right PITA.