Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removed t5 replaced fork rubbers and thrust bearing now clutch burning smell?

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
I removed the gearbox replaced the clutch fork rubbers and put a new thrust bearing in it i drove it yesterday for about an hour without a clutch burn smell around town went on a 70km trip and i got there and the outside of the car reeked of clutch? wtf? does something need to be adjusted? ifso how do i adjust it? etc?

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Cable....................

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
yeah what way? i dont understand how that part of it all works. how do i know ive adjusted it enough. i odnt wanna adjust too much the wrong way and do more damage.

MR.HG

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Brougham, VS Ute, VR SS
its an easy job just need to loosen it off a bit and slowly tighten it up so there is no slop in the pedal, where it goes through the mount at the gearbox end there should be a threaded shaft and a nut on the cable, lefty loosey righty tighty. get someone to slightly depress the clutch pedal for you while your adjusting it just so you know when it starts to engage

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
all you do with the cable is adjust the height of the clutch pedal.

when you let the pedal out does the clutch fully dis-engage or is the thrust bearing binding up?

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
Well id say the thrust bearing is "binding up" its always made a horrid noise and had slop in the clutch fork so i replaced the rubbers so now i have one less noise and still have one noise if i rest the weight of my foot on the clutch pedal the noise goes away from the thrust bearing. if i depress the clutch fully all noise is gone even the metal on metaly rattle noise which i can live with the nosie its always made in conjunction with having no clutch fork rubbers.

fonzo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina s2
P.s i have about half a mm of slop in the pedal. that is all around town i dont get the burning smell. 5th gear 100km on the highway it smells

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
your preload spring on the pedal could be broken causig the pressure plate fingers to skim over the throwout bearing giving it thart noise when yourfoot is off the pedal
Cant understand how changing the throwout bearing could make the clutch slip and make that smell and it would have to bind pretty bad to keep pressure on the fingers enough to make it slip