Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing adhesive pad residue from old wheel balance weight spots

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
Someone, above, mentioned Acetone and I agree. Any of the "goop removers" you can get at the supermarket and Bunnings will work too. I have also used tea tree oil to remove double sided tape adhesive residue...the black strong stuff. Works a charm.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Acetone mixed with elbow grease.

Nail polish remover...?
Maybe the crude swearing should have been directed at the mob that last did your wheel balancing.

I’d assume they‘d remove the old weights and clean up the residue before spinning up the wheel to balance them :oops:

Got some degreaser usually reserved for the bike chain, too.
I have no idea who did the wheel balancing because that was with the previous owners, the nuns down in Ballarat in VIC (OK, don't ask why the nuns are hanging out in a chilli red SV6 with dark tinted windows and drainpipe exhausts...developing bad habits [*ducks flying shoe*] ). and there is no record of who did the tyres/balancing. I have never seen such a mess of residue. Even with my old VZ, which went through 3 sets of tyres and also used self-adhesive weights had no such blight. You're right about assuming they should remove the detritis. I will certainly make sure this is the case when I get new tyres some time in the future (prob. 10k from this point).

Luckily for the wheels, I was born with the patience of a hindu cow, and have got a lot of the gunk off the wheel from a 5.30am start this am. Have used a plastic knife with a serrated edge and nail polish remover garnered from my enthusiastic neighbour's make-up kit (!) It's working, just slowly...slowly. I might start on the left side rear wheel this afternoon, even though it is somewhat out of my league to muck around with wheels, but hey, if I had not been staring at the wheels yesterday afternoon I would not expending so much yakka!!