Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing aircon

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
hey guys, starting my project tommorrow,

spoke to my mate today, his dad just got a gasless migwelder, and is willing to construct a turbo manifold for me for DIRT cheap, i just need parts

now ive put many many many hours in the designs for this manifold,
its going to meet in the center so each side of the engine piping is the same length, it will then run to the turbo which will be mounted where the air box was

the aircon is right where the passengerside header needs to run, which means it has to go (its out of gas anyway)

what would i need to plug up/remove in the aircon??? , i figure the pulley and the compressor tank?? anything else???

VNV6VENGEANCE

VeNgeance
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Turbo
Don't f#ck around with getting rid of **** like a/c, there are turbo manifolds made that don't need a/c removal. You would be better off redesigining the turbo mainfolds then your engines original components. I've been in a twin turbo vn that has twice the pipes and he had a/c.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
are you making log type manifolds. if you can wait a few days i could sit my manifolds on my motor of you and take some pics. so ya can see what the go is. ones manifold sits high to miss the aircon and the other sits low to miss the power steering pump... if ya want me to take some photo's let me know..

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yeah i know, ive looked into these designs, i dont want aircon, in the 2 years ive had the car ive used it once to test it,ive already got a design for keeping hte aircon and it will be a genuine pain in the ass

i wasnt asking opinions, i was asking is there anything else i need to disconnect

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
You dong know pain in the ass until you've modified a vn aircon for an ecotec an it sits 10mm from the chassis! and the right extractor sits on the chassis!

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT HARD IS BOY! lol :)

haha

Last edited:

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
haha,
i removed my aircon.
if you remove your aircon you must have rocks in ya head!!!
im speaking from experience.

but i removed the little tank near the firewall, the lines going to and from it.
i think i needed to se a hack saw on the metal lines and a huge shifter.

also theres like a miny radiator thing in front of the radiator. it has i think 1 or 2??? lines. i think there metal but cant quite remember. i used a hacksaw on these also because they run along the chassis rail thing in the engine bay and twist around the radiator, so unless you remove the front bar these are a genuine pain in the ass to remove.

and then the compressor thing itself is a prick. the top bolts are easyily undone using a open ender but the bottom ones have roughly 10mm gap between the inner gaurd/chassis rail, which make it very hard to undo.

and after your finished you are rewarded with 2 ugly ass metal lines coming out the firewall going no where and looks just plain stupid.

so all in all i would not remove it if i where you, when you are sitting at the lights at a hot summer day, and your fan blows out heat, you start reaching opening up all the windows but it hardly makes a differnence,you'll wish you kept it, trust me i know.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
if you dont want it then just start ripping out stuff till youve got the room you need. Dissconnect all power to the unit.. the pulley and remove anything that gets into your way and you'll be sweet... you dont have to remove EVERYTHING just the stuff that get in your way. That way you wont have holes that you cant cover up. AND people might think... WOW... custom AC where did he move the compressor! hahahahah

aZk.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
if youre going to run an intercooler remove the condencer (the radiator thing infront of the radiator) it will help heaps with air flow.
just remove the compressor and the pipes that will get in the way, and leave every thing else.

question??? what drive belt are you going to use? the standard one will be too big/long