Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VB-VK] Removing Alternator brushes from a VK w/out removing alternator.

Pie-VK

That guy.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Series I VY SS Ute 5.7/M6
Someone you are lazy, like me, and Don't want to have to remove the alternator to remove the brushes from an old 202, I got stuck at loosening the tensioner pully.

Signs you need new brushes:
Battery is charging, but not enough.
When you get your brushes out and they're only about one Centimetre long.
When the glue inside the regulator case is melting out.

Tools:
A Hammer.
A stubby/Short flat head screw driver that you're not willing to destroy.
A spare flat head screwdriver, preferably at least 5 inches long, that you're willing to destroy. Or a ratchet with a flat head attachment that is no longer than 2 inches.
A ratchet and a 15mm or 9/16th socket.
WD40
Replacement regulator/Brushes

Cost:
about $35 for a brand spanking new regulator
or
$5 for new brushes.
about $5 for a new screw driver as well.

Difficulty
Waaaay to easy.

Time Needed:
8 Hour's if you're me.
1 hour if you're doing it for the first time
20 minutes if you've done it before but forgotten.

Method:

1) Disconnect the battery, I failed to do this and ended up unconscious under neither the car.

2) Grab your 15mm or 9/16ths socket and undo the top bolt that holds the alternator to it's bracket and loosen the bottom bolt just a little bit. This will allow you to move the alternator left and right giving you a little more room to work with.

Note: Sometimes the underside bolt is a little caked with grit and grime and is sometimes rusted over, just get some WD40 and let it soak in a bit. You will need to get under neither the car to do most of this job, it is possible to do it without getting under the car, it's just really difficult to do it without actually seeing what you're unscrewing.

3) now that that's done, move the alternator around a bit till you got enough room to work with.

4) Now you have to somehow get into the 2 screws that hold the brushes and regulator in place. Grab your hammer and smash your disposable screw driver until it as at a right angle. Make sure that from the tip of the driver to the right angle curve that it is no longer than 1.5 - 2 inches.

Note: you can use a ratchets with a flat head bit in it, as long as it isn't longer than (from the tip of the driver bit to the ratchet directional changer) 2 inches.

5) You only really need to loosen the screws a little bit, after that's done you can get your fingers in there and finger loosen them.

6) once that's done, gently remove the regulator and with your non ####ed screw driver, pry off the little wire clamp that is attached to the regulator.

Note: Stock 202's had a Bosch EE 14V3 9 190 067 015 Brown top Regulator, now these are hard to find, but you can replace them with a Bosch EE 14V3 9 190 067 005 Black Top Regulator and they work just fine.

7) If you just got new brushes, then fit them now. Personally I'd just go out and buy a completely new Regulator unit, I got mine for $32. Just for the brushes you're looking at about $5-$10.

8) Ok, Now slide on under your car, Grab the little wire that you unclipped in Step 6 and reconnect it (it should be the only wire that is hanging out of the hole that the regulator fits in.) and slide the regulator back in by sliding the end with the brushes in first and applying pressure to the regulator to push it into place. Here's the tricky part, You have to maintain pressure on the regulator or it will just pop out. I just got a friend to hold it while i screwed the tiny screws back in with my finger and then tightened them with the bent screw driver.

9) Rage at the tiny screws that hold the regulator in place.

9) Once you have successfully put your brushes in. you can Pull the alternator all the way to the right (if your standing at the front of the car) to put tension back onto the belt and then put the mounting bolt back into the alternator/bracket. After that's done, slide under the car and tighten the bottom bolt back up, and then you're all set to go.

Note: Don't tighten the bottom bolt up first, it makes it hard to move the alternator into place so it puts tension on the belt.

10) rejoice that you have managed to continue driving your car.