Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing AWD from Adventra

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
after many year and many problems with my AWD adventra i'm considering dumping the AWD but keeping the ride height as is
I have spend thousands on replacing bushes, drive shafts and now the auto is on the way out and i still have vibrations from the front somewhere plus i've broken afew front driveshafts driving to hard.
i'm hoping its as easy as buying a reco RWD 4L60E and a tailshaft from a wagon (replace donuts, cv and centre bearing before it goes in) then get a tune to remove the traction control (cross track)
I was going to use my old front shaft outers for the front hubs and remove the rest of the AWD but keep it incase i change my mind down the track.

only real issue is the cross track system and how to disable it,, is it possible??

why i want to get rid of it:
  1. it doesn't really work, if i lift 1 wheel off the ground it spins, the cross track doesn't do anything
  2. i don't go off road ever
  3. i like skids as i'm immature
  4. i want to change the diff ratio to 4.1 and i can't with AWD as 3.46 is the only ratio available for the front diff
  5. only bought the adventra as a VY SS wagon was about $15k and a top spec VZ LX8 adventra was $7k
  6. I have no plans on selling the car ever i want to run it till it dies, so not worried about resale at all
  7. and removing the transfer case, prop shaft, front diff and drive shafts will remove about 150-200kg and driving less wheels might help its economy as its only used around town and on freeway trips, it gets about 12-17l on average depending on use.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
When I bought my Cross6, I tried to find out info about the operation of it all, but the lack of information is overwhelming, and the ignorance of Holden servicing not far behind.

You state ... " I have no plans on selling the car ever i want to run it till it dies, so not worried about resale at all " but really would the expense and head-bang moments be really worth it, in comparison to trading it on a wagon of some variant.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, I'd look at trading rather then modifying.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
trade it on what?
have you seen the prices of a VY SS wagon these days
an early VE are a piece of um.... lets put it this way i will not touch one of them, maybe a series 2 calais wagon but still double the price of my car
my old VZ has new everything and i love it, and technically for the cost of a tune it can be RWD (if its possible)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I did not realise that SS wagons were so rare and expensive. There are more V8 Adventras around, all with over 200Km, at reasonable prices.
Perhaps treat it like a Jag. Have 2 …. 1 to drive while the other is being fixed.
Sorry, can't offer anything more technical than that.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Holden changed heaps of stuff to make the AWD stuff fit. I'm really not sure what is involved in converting it to a standard RWD car but it seems like a lot of trouble/effort.

There is a guy on the Commodore Plus forum who knows the AWD stuff inside and out.