Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing bonnet lining

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
I'm considering removing the black rubber lining on the underside of the bonnet. It's a bit tattered and was thinking it might look good if i pull it off and polish the paint underneath.

Has anyone done this?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Sure it will make your car louder as with any type of removal. But I don't think many of us still run one. My first one on the V6 got riped to bits with a balancer/belt failure and the 2nd was on the VP so obsiously that's long gone :)

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
It's there to stop heat messing up the paint on your bonnet. Dynamat do a special type of material to replace this stuff, and it looks pretty trick if you lay it on neatly! Tally Ho!

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Yeah i figured it was for heat protection, but lots of show cars don't have this. So basically i just wanna know if heat is going to damage the paint, or whether it was just a precaution by holden.

rocco555

Reaction score
Members Ride
E46 M3
yeah up to you mate,

as mentioned tho, you will get a little more unwanted noise coming from under the hood. not to mention extra heat on your bonnet/paint.

that said, however, plenty of guys driving round without them without any issues.

i'd personally keep it on.

from memory, a newy from holden is only about 60 bucks or so if you wanted a fresher looking one

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
It's a precaution, I've only ever seen the paint damaged without a hood-lining after an overheat, or excessive idling in traffic in hot weather. If I were you I'd at least put something on there, jaycar's roadkill maybe?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Got no clue on the paint, I had almost no paint left on the bonnet before I took it off so that doesn't worry me, not every car has insulation onthe bonnet from the factory

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
Keep it on. Helps insulate the heat and will be better for cold morning start ups.