Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing centre dash - HELP!

Chris_J_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Hi, I've purchased a bluetooth carkit to go in my VY Series 2 wagon, and it plugs into the plugs at the back of the head unit for the stereo for the radio mute/carkit power etc. Anyway, we've got the head unit out no problems, and pulled away various parts of the dash, but having major problems getting the panel just next to where the head unit enclosure sits. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove these panels as we need to get the head unit enclosure out to adjust the wires a little for the stereo. Basically need to work out how to remove the whole centre section of the dash. If anyone has any howtos or guides, that'd be great. Thanks.

surfindude

hothouse green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S pack s1
firstly u will have to remove the part around the gear knob this just pulls up and out with only one lil screw right up in the little area infront of the gear stick.(start from the clove box and just lift)
then u will have to pull up the top part of the center console then there is 4 screws under that and a few more u down the bottom that u will see when u remove the bottom part it is easy as 5 mins and u will have it out
i think i got it all if not im sure someone else will correct me
hope that helps

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Chris_J_W said:
Hi, I've purchased a bluetooth carkit to go in my VY Series 2 wagon, and it plugs into the plugs at the back of the head unit for the stereo for the radio mute/carkit power etc. Anyway, we've got the head unit out no problems, and pulled away various parts of the dash, but having major problems getting the panel just next to where the head unit enclosure sits. Just wondering if anyone has any idea how to remove these panels as we need to get the head unit enclosure out to adjust the wires a little for the stereo. Basically need to work out how to remove the whole centre section of the dash. If anyone has any howtos or guides, that'd be great. Thanks.

Did you get the holden bluetooth???
You should not need to take the head unit out, remove the glove box,
there is 2-3 screews on the right hand side for the side panel that runs along the console, this will drop and there is a plug taped to the loom halfway along the console,
That 6 pin plug has Neg, +12V, ACC +12V, radio mute, two wires for audio through the stereo speakers, Do a search for further info.

Have not heard of having to go behind head unit for anything.

Chris_J_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Thanks for the tips surfindude - I'll have a look tomorrow. If anyone else has any tips, I'll greatly appreciate them too. We (myself and a friend) spent about 3 hours this afternoon without much luck.

Edit: Just had a look then, the only screw I can see that remotely looks like where you describe is in the middle of the bottom front edge of the enclosure (behind a fairly thin plastic bar) where the head unit goes/was...and from what I can tell that's only to hold the little compartment below it in place...doesn't actually hold anything down..is that the one? I found the 4 up top of the centre console earlier today and got that part a bit mobile, but not enough to release anything...don't suppose you (or anyone) have pictures of the screws in question?

ssute57l, No it's not the holden bluetooth one - if I'd gotten that, I woulda got it installed by Holden ;)

It actually needs the 3 plugs that go in the back of the head unit and has like a pass through box hence why I need to get in there. I know about the phone connector near the glove box. Unfortunately that isn't quite suitable.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Geez, i've never seen those bluetooth kits.
Like ssute571 said, you would normally just have to remove the glove box and unscrew the side panel for your access.
I've fitted dozens of these kits and usually doesn't take more than an hour to do.
Is it a nokia kit?

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
does ne1 have a thread or step by step instrustions with pics if possible 2 how 2 take the dash appart??? need 2 get the headlight switch 2 change it over???

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
headlight switch just comes out thru the front. stick a small screwdriver down the side to hold the clip in, pull it out a bit, then repeat on the other side.

Chris_J_W

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Series 2
Well I figured it out thanks to a post in another forum (Street Commodores) - for some reason it isn't letting me post a link here...maybe against rules or something. Anyway...all good :)

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
smyth said:
headlight switch just comes out thru the front. stick a small screwdriver down the side to hold the clip in, pull it out a bit, then repeat on the other side.

thanx heaps saved alot of hassles