Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Centre Muffler From 2.5 Xforce

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Got a full system on the SSV and am still looking for a little more sound out of it. Would removing the centre muffler from the 2.5" catback be a good alternative to stepping up to 3 inch? Would it make it much louder, more drone?

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Got a full system on the SSV and am still looking for a little more sound out of it. Would removing the centre muffler from the 2.5" catback be a good alternative to stepping up to 3 inch? Would it make it much louder, more drone?

most likely make it more raspy,I did the same mod a few years back,wasnt happy with the sound.probably better to change your rear mufflers as they determine the volume of the exhaust more than the centre does:)

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
I'll complete the sentence.

Removing Centre Muffler From 2.5 Xforce will sound crap.

Change the catback to something decent rather than 'upgrading' to a 3" X-Force. My two cents, everyones opinion will be different but personally I hated my X-Force system.

On a more serious note though, yes it will make it louder and yes it will also make it drone more.

xVOIDx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6.0l
Change the catback to something decent rather than 'upgrading' to a 3" X-Force. My two cents, everyones opinion will be different but personally I hated my X-Force system.

3" X-Force Varex system sounds awesome..... X-Force make a variety of systems, some are crap, others good

Robbo VS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV PHANTOM
Yeah think i might upgrade to a 3 inch difilippo.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
3" X-Force Varex system sounds awesome..... X-Force make a variety of systems, some are crap, others good

Agree to disagree. Varex is just the rear mufflers that are bi-modal and cost a fortune, you may as well just get a 2.5" system with no middle mufflers or hot dogs, have an x-pipe near the axle and HSV bi-modals - it will cost you less for all that then it would for Varex mufflers and sound way better.

Conversely for the same price as a 3" system in stainless with Varex mufflers you can get a Harrop bi-modal system or a Difilippo system and have the HSV bi-modal system added to it.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Conversely for the same price as a 3" system in stainless with Varex mufflers you can get a Harrop bi-modal system or a Difilippo system and have the HSV bi-modal system added to it.

Diflilippo make bi-modal systems as well, had a 3" cat back fitted to my Maloo couple of weeks back.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Diflilippo make bi-modal systems as well, had a 3" cat back fitted to my Maloo couple of weeks back.

Interesting, I thought they just 'retained' the factory bi-modal. Did not realise it was actually a bi-modal system. If so how much did you pay?

I wouldn't mind changing my mufflers to the 3" bi-modal ones then.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
$2500 supplied, fitted and adapted to my Sureflo headers and Ballistic cats.

DPE are a great source for the Bi-Modal valves.