Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing Diff Gears...Help - How To!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Can someone please give me a run down on how to remove diff gears and what tools I will need....and if ya feeling generous a diagram lol?

And maybe a few things to look out for when checking the condition of second hand ones? Other than looking for small peices of metal shards in the oil or condition of the teeth, what else can I look for?

With new diff gears being $570 I wouldnt mind lookin at some second hand ones. I have a mate wrecking an R31, so I wanna check out the diff gears in that...

I will have them professionally installed, I just wanna get em out myself.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
well, if youre getting them setup, you can have fun pulling them out.
but let me tell you, to change the crownwheel and not the pinion is a bad move re: badmove!
if gears are secondhand, you should do your best to keep them together, because they wear into each other.
i cant recall all the tools you will need, but youll need to jack the car up, slide the axles out a little(to clear the diff centre) drain the diff oil, remove the rear cover, undo the bearing retainer plates on each side and BANG!....there you go. should nearly fallout, so be careful.

commy92

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP WAGON V6
not very hard to do at all. You can instal the gears yourself as well. Its 8 bolts i think. If you wanna chuck a spool in as well now is the time. lol Ill give you a link to something on calaisturbo.com Its a full explination of how to do it. Its ALOT simpler then it says on there though.

http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=21357&highlight=mini+spool

There ya go. If you were in qld i would have done it for a hungy.. bugger.

V

vn25det

yes but if dont know what ur doing regarding seting backlash, front pinion and bearing preloads and such u will just destroy the diff, also the pinoin and crown wheel are matched items in the salsbury and b\w's so dont get them mixed up

H

HATER VP

vn25det said:
yes but if dont know what ur doing regarding seting backlash, front pinion and bearing preloads and such u will just destroy the diff, also the pinoin and crown wheel are matched items in the salsbury and b\w's so dont get them mixed up

Thats exactly rite. If you dont know about them then dont do them your self. Its easy to remove if your not buting the R31 back together.
Your in SA so speak to Boss Diff if your down South, or Precsion Diff if your up North. I reccomend new gears and seals etc. Second hand carrier is OK.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
i like your "two hands" quote there, hater. good flick

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
HATER VP said:
Thats exactly rite. If you dont know about them then dont do them your self. Its easy to remove if your not buting the R31 back together.
Your in SA so speak to Boss Diff if your down South, or Precsion Diff if your up North. I reccomend new gears and seals etc. Second hand carrier is OK.

I aint puttin the Skyline diff back together. I dont care if I wreck the diff :p just want my gears :)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
alllllright matey, i'll do a how to remove diff gears 101 for you:

1. lift car up by the body, and secure properly (so the diff drops to its full extent) drop tailshaft, remove wheels

2. rip up the handbrake mega lots.

3. undo the bolt that's on the yoke thing (figure 1), this will be a bitch beacuse it would have not been off for ages, so you might have to smack the yoke bit or heat up the bolt or something or other.

4. slide out the yoke, the thing you just took the bolt out of (might require a hit or two)

5. remove the back cover off the diff (the round thing with lots of bolts), get ready to smell the dirty diff oil :)

6. pull off the brake discs off either side of the diff, you may need to smack em with a hammer a few times.

7. You will see something that kinda resembles Figure 2. you will need to unbolt the axle retainer, which is burried a little under the handbrake. you will be able to get to these through the holes in the ennd of the axle where the wheels bolt on, there should be 4 of them.

8. once you've done both sides, get the brake disc again, slide it on the wheel studs backwards, and do the nuts up about 2 turns, use this as a slide hammer to bung the axles out.

9. go back round to the back of the car and look at the diff from the back of the car (with the cover now removed), it should resemble something kinda like figure 3.

10. undo the bolts that are marked in red on figure 3, and remove the caps that they hold down (they may need a little convincing with a small hammer)

11. using a jimmy bar or something along those lines, pry the diff center (the bit that spins around) out, levering on the bolts that are marked in green on figure 3, and against the housing.

12. After this is removed, you will be able to see the pinion gear, this will need a bit of a smack with a big hammer from where you first removed the bolt (see figure 1) to get it out.. (don't damage this as you will need to re-use it)

13. Undo the bolts securing the big ring-like gear to the diff center that you pulled out these are LEFT HAND THREAD! you might wanna have the diff center in a vice or use a rattle gun or something for this.

14. take crown wheel (the big ring looking gear thing) and pinion (the thing that looks like a baby rattle but mega dangerous) to diff guy with your car and say "put in please".

figures.JPG

and some keywords for people searching for this in the future

remove, diff, gears, change, center, LSD, single wheeler, axle, minispool, mini, spool, locker