Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing different coloured paint layers

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
of course its gunna have bog in places but thats just something that has to be dealt with.

op- paint strip, clean excess stripper and residue with thinners, sand with 120 grit on the orbital and give it a coat of etch so it dosent start to rust.
try not to touch the bare metal with your hands after sanding as this will make it rust too even if you prime it.
masking tape should be used in edges and care taken so the paint stripper dosent go into gaps and what not.

sounds like you have alot of fun ahead of you

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
when i built my hq rat rod ute it had about 6 different paint jobs on it.all enamel too!! so what i done was used a sharp scraper to get all the layers of paint off down to the factory paint then hit it with this 120grit sandpaper called 3x. i think norton makes it.i purchased it from mitre10 and it was $8 for 3 sheets but it lasts up to 3 times longer and it doesn'tball up.it is less messier than paint stripper.the ute had shitloads of bog under every layer of paint.once i stripped the paint off most of the bog didn't have to be there.all the paint and bog together was that thick so it added 2-3mm to the size of the ute.once it was stripped back it was a breeze to get it in primer and paint.

pics here-
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3366119/1974-holden-ute

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
care taken so the paint stripper dosent go into gaps and what not.
and get every bit of the paint stripper off. not most of it all of it, course steel wool is handy while paint stripping.
still wouldn't do it on the body only parts you can take off and do away from the car.

dzach23

Bra Bra Potato Potato
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Lumina Series 1 genesis blue
OK, so i'll paint strip carefully making sure to get it all off using thinners
Sand with 120 grit sandpaper when needed
give it a coat of etch once it's at bare metal to prevent rust appearing.

If i find rust under the paint, do i wire brush the flaky rust off then rust converter it and it'll be alright to etch over?
Would it be necessary to use a Deoxidiser?

Their is some bog but it need's to be redone so not really worried about that.

What Brand's do you guy's recommend to use?
also Thank's guys for the info so far.

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
Go to bunnings and get some Diggers Paint Stripper Gel. Its great stuff and its under $50 for 4ltrs

sm00th

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn wagon
OK, so i'll paint strip carefully making sure to get it all off using thinners
Sand with 120 grit sandpaper when needed
give it a coat of etch once it's at bare metal to prevent rust appearing.

If i find rust under the paint, do i wire brush the flaky rust off then rust converter it and it'll be alright to etch over?
Would it be necessary to use a Deoxidiser?

Their is some bog but it need's to be redone so not really worried about that.

What Brand's do you guy's recommend to use?
also Thank's guys for the info so far.

Before you put the paint stripper on scratch the paint with the edge of a scraper in a cross hatch pattern. Try to get as deep as you can when you scratch it so the stripper can get underneath the paint. Wire brush any rust and hit it with rust converter. dont etch straight over the converter once its dry sand it back with some 120 then you can etch it. Make sure your wearing gloves when your working on bare metal then you wont need to use deoxidiser.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
O.P- carefully paint strip
wipe off excess and residue with rags soaked in thinners flipping and changing rags
make sure you get it all off too
120 the whole panel
etch
bog
fix pinholes in bog
prime
guidecoat
block with 240
guidecoat again
block with 800 wet
800 wet by hand hard to get areas
prepsol