Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] Removing door bumper strips

Iman

VZ SSZ Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
I've never had an interest to do it my self until I had an accident with my Toyota Lexcen and salvaged the doors/tinted windows off it.
I then saw that the bumper strips were in different positions and it looked kind of whacked.
I've looked around the forums on tutorials about how to remove these effectively and have come across many ways people do it but with mixed results when people do it.
Ive also tested their methods such as the fishing line one and it takes way too long.
I also found a way to take off the siccaflex off effectivly without using chemicles like others
I just thought I would write how I did it and that it could help others in the future.
*Don't blame me if you ruin anything you self, i take no responsibility

The way ive done it has not affected the paint in any way (if done properly)
But my first attempt I did strip some clear coat off by having the heat gun on the surface for wayyyyy too long, seriously way to long lol. (On a test door)

IMG_5516_zps98e168de.jpg

What you will need is
1) HeatGun (I have an Ozito brand one, works a treat)
2)Fishing line
3)Gloves
4)Power Drill and Caramel wheel
IMG_5529_zps0392a5d9.jpg
IMG_5528_zps1634ed66.jpg

First off I used some fishing line and sliced a tiny bit of sicaflex off so that i would have a bit of the strip to grab on when pulling it off later
IMG_5517_zps92c53b2d.jpg

IMG_5527_zps3f6bf65e.jpg

IMG_5522_zps31e9eb19.jpg

You only need to cut enough so then you can grab it afterwards.

I then got the heat gun ready and set it on medium? The heat gun has a knob which doesn't really specify how hot it is.
Start applying the heat gun on the strip making sure you're NOT only holding it on one spot and just start pulling it gently yet firmly.
You should get something like this
IMG_5518_zpsd3a201e6.jpg

Then basically keep doing this across the strip till it comes off.
IMG_5524_zps9a5bee15.jpg

For some reason it wont let me embed a youtube video.
This is a video of me doing it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l03VieU5TU

Thats it for that part, Will write up removing sicaflex soon. '
Sorry if it was hard to understand, I just wrote this up out of spare time.

*Don't blame me if you ruin anything you self, i take no responsibility

Last edited: