Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing doors & glass on VR

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yes you can do it at home with a basic toot kit, but you'll need a second set of hands to avoid doing any damage when removing the doors. First you will need to disconnect the wiring loom that runs into the door. Then with a pin punch and hammer remove the pin in the tension arm and then the two remaining hinge pins. Just make sure you have someone helping to hold the weignt of the door as you are removing the pins. As for removing the window glass you should be able to see a series of 10mm bolts that hold two seperate horizontal steel guides back to the door. Remove these guides and you will be able to manoeuvre the glass to pull it back out the top.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Yes you can do it at home with a basic toot kit, but you'll need a second set of hands to avoid doing any damage when removing the doors. First you will need to disconnect the wiring loom that runs into the door. Then with a pin punch and hammer remove the pin in the tension arm and then the two remaining hinge pins. Just make sure you have someone helping to hold the weignt of the door as you are removing the pins. As for removing the window glass you should be able to see a series of 10mm bolts that hold two seperate horizontal steel guides back to the door. Remove these guides and you will be able to manoeuvre the glass to pull it back out the top.

Thanks mate, Do i hit the hing pins from the top down, or from the bottom up? Is there anything i can use instead of a pin punch? Also will i need new hinge pins or can i use the old one when i put the door back on?

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Yes you can re-use the same hinge pins without a problem and i suppose you could use anything similar to a pin punch, just needs to be about 5mm round. Once you get it started though you may be able to pull it out with pliers depending on how tight it is. As for what way to hit the pins from memory the top one goes up and the botom one goes down but im not certain. Its easy to tell though, just look at the pin and you will see one end of it is flared out to stop it going all the way through, so for example if the flared end of the pin was on top, you would drive that pin up from the bottom. Hope that helps.

Radarboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
If your door is opening with a 'cracking' noise it's because the pins are worn. While you have the pins out replace them. After a few years expecially the drivers side door pin wears and creates a gap of about 0.5mm on either side of the pin. Some people lube the doors and use graphite power only to find the 'cracking' noise is still there.....it's the pin worn.....thought I would just throw that in because your removing the pin anyway good time to change it :)

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Here is a little question, since i don't know much about how doors are put together.

If i was to take the back doors from a sedan VS and replace my back doors on the VR Wagon, is it actually possible to change the glass frames from one door to another? Since the Wagon door glass frame are different.

Last edited:

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Here is a little question, since i don't know much about how doors are put together.

If i was to take the back doors from a sedan VS and replace my back doors on the VR Wagon, is it actually possible to change the glass frames from one door to another? Since the Wagon door glass frame is different.

No because the window frame is welded to the rest of the door.