Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing dried super glue

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
The drag racing guys used to wash the grease off their hands with nitro back in the 1950s.
Some became sick. Very sick.
Use it with care outside if you can get hold of some.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not related to the removeal of superglue but nitromethane is rather interesting stuff... So i'll drop a video below which goes into RC model nitromethane engines and then talks about the danger of nitromethane but start it at the 15L45 mark...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
CE4A9EAC-95A0-49B0-9705-9B1F8AFC2831.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Didn't you try some thinners on a piece of plastic of the ve, you was trying to clean up, maybe 6 months ago, & the plastic deteriated. So you tossed it?

So tested thinners on junk VE Omega trim buy pouring it on and it does melt it slightly. Not enough to damage it but does create some discolouration.

On the console I ended up trying thinners on a throw away car wipe and it did next to nothing in terms of removing the glue. I didn't want to soak it as it may have caused damage. I was able to however get the 1/3 sheet sander in there and remove the glue that way. I then finished off with thinners on the same throw away wipe, albeit slightly evaporated. It's come up pretty good now. I'm happy with it.

Lex I think I might remember the incident from six or so months ago. That day I tried metho to clean the top of a door trim and it discoloured the plastic and it took a lot of weeks to get it back to colour with Vinyl Reviver. I found out the hard way on that one. A member I often butt heads with put me into the Bowden's gear and no trouble since.

But yeah, if anyone is considering thinners on most of the VE trims, think again as it will likely discolour, especially if it gets quite wet and allowed to soak, which will cause partial melt.

I did use thinners when I first got the VE remove a single blob of glue from the radio surround and that was fine, but had it been a soak job I don't think it would have faired well. It does however seem to be the softer plastics that are more affected by solvents..

Reactions: Lex