Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Removing dried super glue

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Didn't you try some thinners on a piece of plastic of the ve, you was trying to clean up, maybe 6 months ago, & the plastic deteriated. So you tossed it?
I think that may have been paint remover on some trim. I think paint thinners could also have a not so good effect on certain things.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Nah that was paint stripper Lex.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Supposedly WD-40 can be sprayed on superglue residue and left to soak for a minute. Then you should be able to scrape most of it off and wipe any residue away…

Never tried such methods myself as I‘m careful when using superglue… one only need to glue their fingers together once to be careful when using superglue in future :p:p:p

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Nitro methane will remove it.
Lacquer thinner, acetone etc will not soften or remove it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Never tried such methods myself as I‘m careful when using superglue… one only need to glue their fingers together once to be careful when using superglue in future :p:p:p
Only once? :D

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Best to hook up with model airplane guys that mix their own fuel.
Do you have a club nearby.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nitro methane will remove it.
Lacquer thinner, acetone etc will not soften or remove it.
Interesting stuff ...

Wiki says

The principal use of nitromethane is as a stabilizer for chlorinated solvents, which are used in dry cleaning, semiconductor processing, and degreasing. It is also used most effectively as a solvent or dissolving agent for acrylate monomers, such as cyanoacrylates (more commonly known as "super-glues"). It is also used as a fuel in some forms of racing. It can be used as an explosive, when gelled with several percent of gelling agent. This type of mixture is called PLX. Other mixtures include ANNM and ANNMAl – explosive mixtures of ammonium nitrate, nitromethane and aluminium powder.

As an organic solvent, it is considered to be highly polar (εr = 36 at 20 °C and μ = 3.5 Debye) but is aprotic and possesses very low Lewis basicity. Thus, it is a rare example of a polar solvent that is also weakly coordinating. This makes it useful for dissolving positively charged, strongly electrophilic species. However, its relatively high acidity and explosive properties (see below) limit its applications.

Maybe it aint the safest of stuff to be playing with in the onfines of a car or unventialed garage as the wiki lists lethal dose levels of less than 1g/kg of body weight. So caution is required so don't get it on your hands or breath in the vapours would be a good suggestion :p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride