Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removing engine with gearbox

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
so my POS manual that i wasted 40 dollars on says that apparently to take out my ecotec i need to take my gearbox out too?
i used some brute force and ignorance to take my motor out ...but apart from that is there anything evidence to suggest this book is correct? i plan to put my motor in this weekend and dont want to have to find out the hard way that yes the box has to be bolted on the engine to go into the car...
cheers

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
You can pull it out either way, whichever you prefer. Seperating the gearbox from the engine is the method I prefer, as pulling it out with the gearbox attached generally needs more ground clearance.

in the other hand i prefer to pull them out together because i hate having to #### around lining it up in the car.

doesnt really matter which way you do it though, just a matter of preference.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Motor and gearbox out together is 2 person job, Easier to pull them out individually if working by yourself

EDIT: in saying that auto's would be a pain to bolt back up yourself!

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
We did one a while ago and I had no idea the box had to be married up before being put back in until just now...lol... We did it just fine.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Motor and gearbox out together is 2 person job, Easier to pull them out individually if working by yourself

EDIT: in saying that auto's would be a pain to bolt back up yourself!

Well you must be either stupid or incompetent. Taken plenty of motor/box combo's out in one on my own. As above though - it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer to pull out the lot as I can clean up all the grease/oil/dirt on the box before it goes back together much easier.

Auto's are pretty straight forward to line up in the car but I waaaay prefer fitting a manual out of the car, particularly if you have changed the clutch whilst it's out.

Reaper

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
I just did a gearbox change last weekend due to mine being coluum shift it would have been easier to remove as one unit but i normally do them seperatly i find with auto putting them back in is easy especially if you unbolt the torque convertor at flexplate. manuals can be a pain sometime when trying to line input shaft up

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Well you must be either stupid or incompetent. Taken plenty of motor/box combo's out in one on my own. As above though - it's a matter of personal preference. I prefer to pull out the lot as I can clean up all the grease/oil/dirt on the box before it goes back together much easier.

Auto's are pretty straight forward to line up in the car but I waaaay prefer fitting a manual out of the car, particularly if you have changed the clutch whilst it's out.

Reaper

Perhaps i should rephrase, I was able to remove them myself but re-installing was much harder doing myself, I had to wait to get a helper to assist lining up the engine mounts, would have prefered to install the motor by itself I think it would have been easier.

nalchlan

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS executive series II 'S pack'
yeah it went back in it no worries it was just a bit of a bugger to align it. max ellery manuals are USELESS